cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac Address on 5D Mark iv

youngliver
Apprentice

Hello,

I have not been able to connect my 5D Mark iv to my laptop by wifi. I've done a ton of troubleshooting nothing worked. But I just discovered that the Mac address on my camera is different than my laptop's address. How do I change the Mac address on the camera? It doesn't seem to be a selectable. 1) Would this be the problem with connection and 2) is there a way to change the address or do I need to reset the entire camera?

Thanks,

Mike

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

A MAC address is a unique hardware identifier.  It is not something you change or match to another piece of hardware.  It is a typically embedded in the hardware by the manufacturer.  You want it to remain unique so that each device can be identified on your network.  

Please tell us what you're trying to do, transfer images, use the EOS utility to remotely control your camera, etc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

In this instance, I was trying to tether shoot through wifi. But couldn't link the camera and the laptop. I've done it before with this duo but has always been buggy. This time, nothing. I couldn't get the utility to ever sych with the camera. It's a hassle having to move the camera and laptop because it has to be tethered by a cord. But also transfer images. I just to get wifi teather/transfer down and my new iMac doesn't have any ports at all.

A mac address was originally intended to be a unique hardware identifier, but in practice can be changed by software on some hardware. For example, some Intel chips permit software to change the mac address.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

First, it is not likely the mac address that you wish to change, but the IP address. I do not have the EOS 5D, but I guess that either the camera will act as an access point, or else assign to the camera an IP address on your wireless network.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART172759

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I would not suggest trying t change the MAC address, you should be able to specify an IP address for the camera on both the camera and the laptop.  That would seem the next step to me.

Question, have you downloaded the dedicated Wi-Fi instruction manual for the 5DIV?  It gives detailed instruction on procedures for different situations.  Also there are manuals for Mac and PC versions. This link should work:

eos5d-mk4-wff-im-en.pdf (c-wss.com) there is a flow chart displayed on P54 that should direct  you.

I hope this helps

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@youngliver,

Thanks for replying.  Camera controlled by EOS Utility on laptop for Live View shooting and transfer.

Enabling wireless on the 5D4 effectively creates an ad-hoc network.  (Like others mentioned).  It becomes the host device,  Your laptop will connect to its wireless broadcast.  To do this, you will need to know its SSID name and password.  Similar to how you connect any wifi enabled device on another network.  Your home, coffee shop, etc.

Starting over:

Easy on both MAC or PC

PC > Settings > Wifi > Manage Known Networks.  Find the wireless profile for the 5D4.  Click o nit and select forget.

MAC > Apple menu > System Preferences > Network.  Select wifi (left list) > Click advanced > Find the 5D4 profile > select it and press the "-" minus button.  Apply and OK

>Start the EOS Utility (laptop)

Now return to the camera.  Wifi settings > Network > Reset the network.  Now view the configuration.  Note the SSID name, change the password to something (easy) meaningful to you. 

Return to the laptop, Scan for available wireless networks.  Choose the 5D4, enter the password you created previously.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

STRONGLY suggest avoiding trying to change your Mac address - it is fixed by the manufacturer in line with an international set of specs.  It's like the VIN number on your car, so it is written to be absolutely unique.  A MAC address is not what is directly used for your purposes when connecting devices on a network.  The MAC address is used at a much lower level of what is called the TCP/IP or OSI models.  The layer you want to work on is for the IP address.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements