cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M50 Recently Stopped Connecting via USB

asbestosbill
Contributor

I have been using my EOS M50 for streaming via the Webcam Utility and OBS for a few months. I streamed successfully last Saturday, but last night I could not get the camera to connect to the PC, even after rebooting and trying multiple cables, both of which have worked in the past. I don't have reason to think the USB port underwent any undue stress.

I've read through a few USB connection issue threads on this site, so let me assure you the cables are the right kind, there's no card in the camera, wi-fi / bluetooth are off, and I've tried plugging it in before turning the camera on.

I'm very disappointed and hope I can get my face-cam back. Robot Sad

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

asbestosbill
Contributor

Camera is working after sending it in. Invoice says they replaced the whole PCB assembly. Total cost ~$31 for shipping (w/ insurance).

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@asbestosbill wrote:

I have been using my EOS M50 for streaming via the Webcam Utility and OBS for a few months. I streamed successfully last Saturday, but last night I could not get the camera to connect to the PC, even after rebooting and trying multiple cables, both of which have worked in the past. I don't have reason to think the USB port underwent any undue stress.

I've read through a few USB connection issue threads on this site, so let me assure you the cables are the right kind, there's no card in the camera, wi-fi / bluetooth are off, and I've tried plugging it in before turning the camera on.

I'm very disappointed and hope I can get my face-cam back. Robot Sad

First and foremost, make sure the camera is in USB mode.

Does the regular EOS Utility work properly?  Can it connect to the camera for downloading images?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle: What do you mean by USB mode? I've always been able to plug it in, hear the Windows 10 "device connected" chime, and have video show up in OBS. And no, the EOS Utility doesn't recognize it either, nor Windows file explorer.

The only change I have made to my setup is uninstalling Elgato Game Capture, but there should be no connection there, right?

@asbestosbill wrote:

@Waddizzle: What do you mean by USB mode? I've always been able to plug it in, hear the Windows 10 "device connected" chime, and have video show up in OBS. And no, the EOS Utility doesn't recognize it either, nor Windows file explorer.

The only change I have made to my setup is uninstalling Elgato Game Capture, but there should be no connection there, right?

I did not ask if the regular EOS Utility was disabled.  I asked whether or not it can work properly.  It sounds like it does not.  It is a good test to see if your cable and camera are make a good USB connection to your computer.  Sounds like it does not.

As far as Elgato Game Capture goes, you need to ask them.  I do not use either Elgato or OBS.  Have you tried to re-install the EOS Webcam drivers.

What is USB mode?  I suppose you do not take many photos and need to download them.  The camera has different communication modes.  You need to check the current setting in the camera menus.  Otherwise, you need fully reset the camera back to factory defaults.

@Waddizzle wrote:

I did not ask if the regular EOS Utility was disabled.  I asked whether or not it can work properly.  It sounds like it does not.  It is a good test to see if your cable and camera are make a good USB connection to your computer.  Sounds like it does not.

As far as Elgato Game Capture goes, you need to ask them.  I do not use either Elgato or OBS.  Have you tried to re-install the EOS Webcam drivers.

What is USB mode?  I suppose you do not take many photos and need to download them.  The camera has different communication modes.  You need to check the current setting in the camera menus.  Otherwise, you need fully reset the camera back to factory defaults.

I... didn't say it was disabled. I have been using it to check connectivity. There is none. I have not yet reinstalled the Webcam Utility, but I did install a new version of the EOS Utility before testing with it, and if the camera isn't even being recognized, I have little faith the webcam will function. But I'll try.

The M50 does not have a setting for Communication Mode the way some other models do.

I have now un- and reinstalled the EOS Utility with a reboot in between for good measure, updated the firmware on the camera, and cleared all settings back to factory default.

I notice now (not sure if it did this before) that with the camera plugged in, hitting the Menu button will not bring up the menu, and "BUSY" will pop up in the corner of the screen. This does not happen when the cable is plugged into the camera only (other end dangling), only when it is plugged into the PC. AND YET, the eos utility does not recognize that it is connected.

What is USB mode?  Are you not using a USB cable to connect your camera to a computer?  The Webcam Utility does not work over Wi-Fi or Bluetooth only with USB.

This entire thread is about USB connectivity. Please read before responding.

@asbestosbill wrote:
This entire thread is about USB connectivity. Please read before responding.

I understand that it is about USB mode.  I asked you to check to be sure the camera is in USB mode, and you did not know what I was talking about.  It has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, too.  Contact Canon Support.

Because "USB Mode" is not a thing. If what you meant was "make sure wi-fi and bluetooth are off," it would have been more clear to say that rather than make up a term that could mean anything. Or, you could have read the original post that said "wi-fi / bluetooth are off."

Regardless, the camera is being sent in for repair.
Announcements