cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M100 - Focus Problems

Manda1962
Contributor

Hi.  I'm hoping someone can help.

I'm a newbie so apologise if my question seems obvious.

I've been using a 750D for a year without any issue so I have some limited understanding of camera functions.

I recently bought the M100 for use when I don't want to have the big DSLR as it can tuck in my pocket or handbag but I'm struggling badly with the AF function.

I want it on 1-Point-AF and One Shot . I lock focus by depressing the shutter and it will lock on exactly where I've put the focus and turn green, I then depress the shutter completely to take the picture.

When I download the image into Lightroom the focus can be anywhere except where I originally put it which is frustrating me a bit.

Have I missed something in the settings?

Grateful for any help/advice!

TIA

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How are you able to use Lightroom to show you the AF points?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hello

Yes, I'm using Lightroom CC, I have a plugin which shows me where the focus has locked and its never where I put it.  

I've found the plugin to be 100% accurate with my Canon 750D

In truth when I vew the images I can see the focus has failed.

Thank you for coming back to me!

@Manda1962 wrote:

Hello

Yes, I'm using Lightroom CC, I have a plugin which shows me where the focus has locked and its never where I put it.  

I've found the plugin to be 100% accurate with my Canon 750D

In truth when I vew the images I can see the focus has failed.

Thank you for coming back to me!

Maybe your LR plug-in is wrong.  I have the M3, not the M100. The M3 has a very different AF system and AF point display compared to DSLRs.  What AF point does Canon DPP show you?  I would doubt the LR plug-in before I would doubt the camera.  

In “1 Point AF”, the M3 active AF point defaults to be the center AF point.  And, the AF point is a pretty BIG box on the display.  It is more of an AF zone, with invisible AF assist points, than a single AF point.

You say that your camera seems to focus where you “point” it to focus.  You have not said your photos are out of focus.  Your only complaint has been the AF point display in LR not matching your recollection, which I do not doubt, of where the locked AF point should be displayed.

Again, I think the problem is your LR plug-in.  Maybe it does not know how to handle the AF point data from Canon mirrorless bodies.

I recently bought a new Mac which hasn't come with a CD thing 🙂 so I've not reinstalled DPP and been a bit tardy in looking for a download for it and in fact it seems there isn't one available just now for my operating system, I've come to rely on Lightroom a bit more than I should have I think.

Thank you for your advice.  I hadn't realised that that the M100 would have different AF points to my 750D or that the data would be different so its quite possible that the Plugin I'm using is reading it incorrectly.

I'm going to find a DPP download and see how I get on from there........... 

Many thanks!!!!!!!!!

You can find the product support page by using the link on the home page of the Canon Community.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca...

That is the product support page for your camera.  You can download software, manuals, help info, etc.

Thank you, yes I had found that page unfortunately it tells me my operating system (Mojave) is still unsupported, think I need to be patient and wait for Canon to catch up.  

I've also done a bit more reasearch and found that the Plugin I use while brilliant doesn't list the M100 in the compatable camera list so clearly I jumped to conclusions.

Thank you so much for your patience, I have so much to learn about photography, cameras and post processing!!!!

Does the M100 show the active auto focus point when previewing your pictures on the camera's LCD view screen? If so, I would expect that it would show the same information that Canon DPP would show.

Thank you BurnUnit

As yet I can't download Canon DPP as my new Mac browsing system is unsupported by Canon and it also doesn't have a CD reader....... Will just have to wait for Canon to catch up I think.

@Manda1962 wrote:

Thank you BurnUnit

As yet I can't download Canon DPP as my new Mac browsing system is unsupported by Canon and it also doesn't have a CD reader....... Will just have to wait for Canon to catch up I think.

Try downloading and installing the most recent version, anyway.  It just may work.  I would not wait for Canon, who could be waiting for users like you to tell them about the issues they find.

Announcements