cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost video files on SD card/5D Mark IV

fiedel
Apprentice

I took some videos about 20min each. My wife connected the camera to windows 10 computer using USB cable and moved the vodeo files to the computer. Now there are only 0 bytes files for the long videos on the computer, and I can't find the videos on the camera. File expleorer shows 12GB is used in the SD card, which is exactly the size of the remaining raw files. I used Lexar's recovery software and it found some video files of several KBs on the SD card (Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB). I'm hesitating to recovre these files as they look kind of weird. What's the best way I can get the videos back?

2 REPLIES 2

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Obviously, don't do any more recording or erasing on this card till things get sorted out.

Is this a full size SD card or a micro SD card used with a card adapter? Do you have a USB SD card reader that you can try instead of downloading from the camera? Has your Win10 machine got all the latest updates? Have you tried downloading on a computer with an earlier operating system?

I've had some luck recovering files with the free version of Recuva, but I was only looking for still images, not video files.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Did you try using search in file explorer to look for the files either by file type or file date?  Perhaps the files were  moved to a different directory and those 0 byte files you see were temporary files created during the transfer process.  If the PC has multiple drives, do the search from the "This PC" level of file explorer.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements