cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a good zoom lens for my T6

t3ijbp
Contributor

At this moment I am not at home, so I can't remember if I have the T6 or T6i.  Anyway, i'm looking for a good but moderately priced zoom lens.  I don't want to spend thousands of dollars, just want something that will take good pictures and not require a suitcase to carry it.

I already have the 18-55 mm lens.  I mainly shoot landscapes but want to take pictures of wildlife up close.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bryston3bsst
Enthusiast

I do a great deal of wildlife shooting, mostly birds in flight.

I can tell you in my experience, as has been mentioned above, 200mm is not going to be enough to get the close, detailed shots that makes great wildlife images. Believe me, I've tried. On the other hand, keep in mind the longer the glass gets, the harder it is to hold steady. While you can shoot certain wildlife with a tripod, birds in flight are not among those that you can as the tripod limits your movements too much.

Currently using a Canon 6D (you know, the camera with the really poor AF system that can't track anything moving Man Wink) with the 100-400 II and I am getting very good results. I will tell you too, as has been mentioned, you're going to do a whole lot of standing around, waiting. Wildlife shooting requires tremendous amounts of patience....which surprises me that I can do it as I have very little.

So I would suggest to you to try to get something about 400mm. I don't know what the 100-400 II is going for these days, maybe you could find one used and save a bit. Know too that the 100-400 on your crop body camera is going to have a narrower angle of view as it is designed for a full frame body, but it can be used on your crop. But I think if you get into a 200 or even 300mm lens it's going to leave you somewhat disaapointed. I'll mention too, this type of photography requires a great deal of practice. So, initially, you're going to get some klunkers, which is fine as these will all provide a degree of learning. Good luck to you.

Here are a couple I've gotten recently.

IMG_9647 PSCR.jpg

IMG_8772 PSCRNW.jpg

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Bryston3bsst
Enthusiast

I do a great deal of wildlife shooting, mostly birds in flight.

I can tell you in my experience, as has been mentioned above, 200mm is not going to be enough to get the close, detailed shots that makes great wildlife images. Believe me, I've tried. On the other hand, keep in mind the longer the glass gets, the harder it is to hold steady. While you can shoot certain wildlife with a tripod, birds in flight are not among those that you can as the tripod limits your movements too much.

Currently using a Canon 6D (you know, the camera with the really poor AF system that can't track anything moving Man Wink) with the 100-400 II and I am getting very good results. I will tell you too, as has been mentioned, you're going to do a whole lot of standing around, waiting. Wildlife shooting requires tremendous amounts of patience....which surprises me that I can do it as I have very little.

So I would suggest to you to try to get something about 400mm. I don't know what the 100-400 II is going for these days, maybe you could find one used and save a bit. Know too that the 100-400 on your crop body camera is going to have a narrower angle of view as it is designed for a full frame body, but it can be used on your crop. But I think if you get into a 200 or even 300mm lens it's going to leave you somewhat disaapointed. I'll mention too, this type of photography requires a great deal of practice. So, initially, you're going to get some klunkers, which is fine as these will all provide a degree of learning. Good luck to you.

Here are a couple I've gotten recently.

IMG_9647 PSCR.jpg

IMG_8772 PSCRNW.jpg

Your pictures are fantastic.

"... the camera with the really poor AF system that can't track anything moving ..."

It is nice to hear someone actually dispel the silly notion that you have to have a certain camera for certain shots.  Some would let you think some cameras won't work at all for certain things. Your have proven them wrong.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you very much, Mr Biggs.

Those are awesome shots.

Announcements