cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Extender compatibility with EOS 5D Mark IV and EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM lens

mjohnson24
Contributor

I have a 5d mark iv and a 70-200 f2.8 ii lens. I want to buy a 1.4 and/or 2x extender. I know there are mark ii and mark iii versions. Not sure which is compatible with the gear I have. Is there a difference and will the mark ii work just as good as the mark iii or what? I know I can get the mark iii new and the mark ii I can get used from someone but want to know what is the difference and compatibility before purchasing either.

17 REPLIES 17

It is on the Product Support Page for the 5D4.  This is where you start.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support 

This is where you want to go.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-5d-mark-iv 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

They name ever manual differently, it seems like.

9EDDBABC-E287-4530-9EEB-CBB40CD98544.jpeg

Thanks! Found it. I'll have to read up on it. Looks like with the mark ii lens, lens groups A, C and F are the best and C is the best for the 1.4x extender from what I gather. I'll have to read up on it more and watch videos to learn about the lens groups more. Most the time im on Zone AF and spot metering. Shooting either runners or still models. Just got my camera not long ago so much different than my old mark ii 5d.

There may be a similar section in the manual for the 5D2.

Yea i'll have to look on my 5d Mark ii. I don't use it much. I need to find someone that can clean it for me. According to canon, my 5d mark iv and my 70-200 f2.8 II USM lens will work fine with the 1.4x iii extender.

And find a place to learn more about the AF zones and groups and all. So i can know which one is best for each situation. There's alot to this camera lol.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"My opinion of extenders differs from others."

Its all about what you're good with and what your goals are. If you are good with it, more power to ya. Its not for me.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Bottom line and why I would prefer one of the 150-600mm super zoomsthere is no substitute for having a lens with the actual focal length vs a tel-con. If you think of it this way, 50mm is one power. So, your 200mm lens is equivalent to a 4x power binocular. Adding the 1.4x tel-con and you now have abut a 5x binocular. The 150-600mm super zoom goes all the way to a 12x power. Now you decide which way to go is best.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yea i got the 1.4x tel-con for now and will look at getting the 150-600 in the near future possibly. Just trying to see how often I would use it. If I start using the tel-con quite often and see that the 150-600 would come in handy all the time then I may buy it and use the tel-con when I need it and not the big daddy. Just don't want to pay for something I'm not gonna use very much and just sit around.

Announcements