cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD only shows data, NO images

webdzynes
Contributor

Hello - I'm new here and dont know much about cameras. I have an EOS 40D which was working great. It fell off the couch onto the floor and I thought it was fine. However, for no apparent reason, the LCD no longer shows images. It will show all the menu tabs and text etc but no images. I am at a total loss as to what may have happened... I called Canon and to my surprise, they no longer support this camera at all (including parts) so now I am screwed unless its a simple fix...   Any step by step instructions to recommend I try (as a novice)??

30 REPLIES 30

Look to see which seller is selling it.  Some of the Amazon sellers are not the best.  I agree with looking at canon referbished store.  You can also look at Adorama and B & H, both very good stores.

@webdzynes wrote:

Its sold on Amazon for $449. What I dont understand is why other older models (like the T5) are still sold for much more ($699)...

RUN!  Save your money.  RUN!

Just kidding, soft of.  Seriously, I do not advise buying any big ticket items on Amazon.  The same goes for eBay, which is even worse.  You cannot be sure of who the vendor is.  In fact, you did not, and cannot, name the vendor who is selling the T7.  Amazon is the wrong answer.  They are not the vendor, just the middleman.

Stick sties like Canon, B&H, Adorama, or even KEH, which specializes in used gear.  I have found their rating system for used gear to be pretty conservative, meaning the gear is in better condition than what you might expect for a given rating.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@webdzynes wrote:

Its sold on Amazon for $449. What I dont understand is why other older models (like the T5) are still sold for much more ($699)...

The Canon T6 is an extremely "entry level" camera model. The T5 is the same but, even older.

You are probably looking at a T5i... not a T5... if the price is higher. Note the "i", which indicates a more advanced and more expensive model.

However, even your much older 40D has a better AF system, a better viewfinder, better control access, faster frame rate, etc. T6 or T5 would actually be a significant downgrade for you in a number of ways. While they might have a higher resolution sensor, they use a lower performance AF system, may lack a self-cleaning sensor, and are mostly plastic with little to no environmental sealing for weather/dust resistance. They are highly automated designs.... Sort of "point n shoot" cameras with interchangeable lenses.

A little bit better, but even T4i, T5i, T6i or T6s would be downgrades for you, in some ways.

More direct updates to your 40D would be a 50D, 7D, 60D, 70D or the current 80D. These models all use a true pentaprism that makes for a bigger, brighter viewfinder than the Rebel models (such as the T6, T5, T5i, T6i, etc.) offer with a "penta-mirror". 7D's and 80D's viewfinders show 100% of image area. The 50/60/70D have 96 to 98% viewfinders, where all the Rebels have 95%.

The T6, T5i, T3i and even the new T7 use a 9-point AF system where one point (the center one) is a higher performance "dual axis" type. Your 40D, the 50D and 60D all use 9-point too... but all points are the higher performance dual axis type. The 7D and 70D use a 19-point, all dual axis AF system and the 80D introduced the 45-point, all dual axis AF system now in use in a number of Canon cameras.

The Rebel models also use a lower specification shutter: 1/4000 top speed, 1/200 flash sync, typically rated for 75,000 shutter actuations. The 50/60/70D have 1/8000 top speed, 1/250 flash sync, and are rated to be good for 100,000 shutter actuations.

The 50D got a big increase in resolution: 15MP compared to your 40D's 10MP. It uses the same AF system, but appears to have a "better" shutter. 40D was somewhat prone to early shutter failure (sooner than the 100K "clicks" it was rated to do). 50D's shutters seem to hold up better over the long term. 50D was the first of the Canon APS-C cameras to have Micro Focus Adjustment feature, too. For some reason Canon left this off the 60D, but they reintroduced it on 70D and 80D, as well as 7D-series.

60D represented a change in design, compared to the earlier models. It no longer has the "joystick", uses multi-directional buttons instead. It also uses SD memory cards, instead of Compact Flash. tThe 7D was intro'd about the same time, has joystick and uses CF cards... Canon sort of split the xxD series in two.... with the 7D as the higher spec model alongside the slightly lower spec 60D. Between the two, the 7D would feel the most familiar to a 40D user. The 7D intro'd the high performance 19-point AF system, while the 60D continued to use a 9-point AF system similar to 40D and 50D's. Both 7D and 60D are 18MP cameras. Several of the concurrent Rebel models also used this sensor.

70D inherited the 7D's 19-point AF system. Resolution also increased to 20MP (the current 7D Mark II uses similar sensor). 70D also introduced Canon's Dual Point AF (DPAF) in Live View, which is a big improvement over the contrast detection method of focus used in LIve View by the older models. ALL current Canon have DPAF, except for the T6 and T7.

The 80D got further increase in resolution to 24MP (now used in all current APS-C models including the T7, T7i, 77D... except for the 7DII which still uses the 20MP sensor, same as 70D). Perhaps most importantly, 80D also intro'd the new 45-point AF system. Among the APS-C models, only the 7D Mark II has an AF system that's more advanced in some ways: 65-point and seven focus "patterns" (compared to four AF patterns in 80D). OTOH, the 80D has up to 27 "f/8 capable" AF points (compared to just one in the 7DII, at the center). This feature allows the camera to be able to autofocus with more lens/teleconverter combos. The T7i and 77D have this feature, too.

The 7D Mark II also introduced another feature, called Anti-Flicker. This resolves exposure problems that are common when trying to photograph under fluorescent and similar types of lighting. That type of lighting cycles on and off very rapidly, about 60 cycles per second, so fast that we don't see it with our eyes. But it causes lots of exposure problems with cameras that are capturing an image in a fraction of a second. This new feature, now found on all Canon models except T7 and T6, detects the cycling of the lights and times the shutter release to coincide with peak output. I can tell you from experience, IT WORKS! Where with earlier cameras I would commonly see half or more of my images underexposed when shooting under sodium vapor or fluorescent lights, I now see almost zero.

A quick summary of Canon models from 40D (10MP) onward. Unless other wise noted, APS-C models that can use all EF and EF-S lenses. N. American model designations used:

Entry level:

--- Rebel XS (10MP)

---  Rebel T3 (12MP)

--- Revel SL1 (18MP)

--- Rebel T5 (18MP)

--- Rebel T6 (18MP)

--- Rebel T7 (24MP, current)

The above models lack self-cleaning sensors

Intermediate amateur level:

--- Rebel XTi (12MP)

--- Rebel T1i (15MP)

--- Rebel T2i (18MP)

--- Rebel T3i (18MP)

--- Rebel T4i (18MP)

--- EOS 6D (20MP, Full Frame)

--- Rebel T5i (18MP)

--- Rebel T6i (24MP)

--- Rebel T6s (24MP)

--- Rebel T7i (24MP, current)

--- EOS 77D (24MP, current)

--- Rebel SL2 (24MP, current)

--- EOS 6D Mark II (26MP, FF, current)

All above models use a shutter with top speed of 1/4000. All except the 6D-series (full frame) models use a penta-mirror based viewfinder.

The above models lack Micro Focus Adjustment feature (except for the 6D-series).

Except for the following, above models use a simple 9-point AF system. 6D uses a simple 11-point AF system with one dual axis point (center). T6i and T6s use 19-point AF system (simpler than, but adapted from 7D's). T7i, 77D and 6DII use 45-point AF, all dual axis type AF system (adapted from 80D).

All below models use a shutter with top speed of 1/8000. They also use a true pentaprism based viewfinder (as, too, do the 6D-series above).

Advanced amateur, semi-pro level:

--- EOS 40D (10MP)

--- EOS 50D (15MP)

--- EOS 5D Mark II (21MP, full frame)

--- EOS 60D (18MP)

--- EOS 7D (18MP)

--- EOS 5D Mark III (22MP, full frame)

--- EOS 70D (20MP)

--- EOS 7D Mark II (20MP)

--- EOS 80D (24MP, current)

--- EOS 5D Mark IV (30MP, full frame, current)

All the above use 9-point AF system, all cross type, except as follows. 5DII has 6 "hidden" AF assist points. 7D uses a higher performance 19-point AF system, all cross type. 70D uses a slightly simpler version of that 19-point system. 5DIII and 5DIV adopted a 61-point AF system (41 dual axis) previously used only in 1D-series. 7DII uses a unique, higher performance 65-point, all dual axis AF system. 80D introduced a 45-point, all dual axis AF system (now also used in T7i, 77D and 6DII).

Pro level models:

--- EOS 1D Mark III (10MP, APS-H)

--- EOS 1Ds Mark III (21MP, full frame)

--- EOS 1D Mark IV (16MP, APS-H)

--- EOS  1DX (16MP, full frame)

--- EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS-R (50MP, full frame, current)

--- EOS 1DX Mark II (18MP, full frame, current)

Note: APS-H and full frame models require EF lenses (cannot fit EF-S/ "crop only" lenses).

For additional specifications and more models, see wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Canon_EOS_digital_cameras

You also can find more extensive information by searching for reviews of any specific model. There are several online sites that provide model to model comparisons that can be helpful. (However, be sure to double check any info the give. I've noticed some errors.)

If you decide to replace your 40D rather than repair it, I would encourage you to look at 60D, 70D or 80D, for the most direct update from that model. An original 7D or 7D Mark II would be the ultimate update for you. T5i, T6i, T6s, T7i or 77D would be a step down in some ways, but a step up in others. The SL2 is another model I'd suggest you consider. It's an ultra compact DSLR, the smallest and lightest available. The earlire SL1 was a more entry level model, comparable in most specifications to the T6. The SL2 got a lot of improvements and is now more akin to the T7i in many respects. About the only thing carried over from the SL1 is its 9-point AF system (single dual axis point). That's not the case with the T7.... which is virtually the same camera as the T6, except for a sensor upgrade. 

If you buy a camera in kit with one or two lenses, that can be a good deal. The EF-S 18-55mm IS STM lens sold with many of them is a bit plasticky, but capable. The EF-S 18-135mm IS STM is an upgrade from that and a more versatile lens. The EF-S 18-135mm IS USM is even more of an upgrade with faster autofocus, usually only offered in kit with 80D or 7D Mark II.

Two lens kits usually include either the EF 70-300mm "III" or the EF-S 55-250mm IS STM. The latter is a MUCH better lens in all respects. The 55-250mm is closer focusing, has image stabilization, and has faster/quieter auto focus. It also has significantly better image quality at both zooms longer focal lengths.  Note that the recommended lenses have either STM (stepper motor) or USM (ultrasonic motor) focus drive. Lenses without one or the other of these focus drive designations imprinted on them should cost less, but will be slower and noisier focusing. In some cases, the non-STM/non-USM lenses are also older designs that don't have as good image quality as newer versions that use those better focus drive systems.

Finally, do you use a vertical/battery grip (BG-E2N) on your 40D? If so, the 50D utilizes the same grip. Different ones are available for 7D, 60D, 70D, 7DII and 80D. Also a grip was available for T4i, T5i, T6i and T6s. NONE is available for T3, T5, T6, T7, SL1, SL2, T7i or 77D.

Hope this helps!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

Wow!!  Thank you Alan for that comprehensive and very informative information!!  I learned a great deal.

The only caveat to all of it is budget. Were I not a novice and or had a much deeper wallet for this, your information would be spot on. However, I did speak with one repair center (Royal Camera) and he inferred I'd probably be looking at a $400+ repair. That was 'probably'... So if I am going to spend around that anyway, the logical step for my needs leans towards a Rebel  T7 kit for $449. With that, I get lenses, flash memory, tripod, monopod, battery, etc - a lot of stuff plus a full one year warranty on a new T7 (and I can add to that warranty at a low additional cost). Plus, I can still use the majority of stuff I already have (i.e. lenses) so all things considered, the T7 would seem to be the best choice for me at this time. If I were experienced or looking to really get into photography as an occupation, then, of course, the better equipment would make sense. But since that's not where I am at yet, the lower investment would seem to offer the best ROI. Thank you again for taking the time - I'm sure many people on here also picked up a great deal!

“.....OTOH, the 80D has up to 27 "f/8 capable" AF points (compared to just one in the 7DII, at the center). This feature allows the camera to be able to autofocus with more lens/teleconverter combos. The T7i and 77D have this feature, too.”

No, the Rebel bodies do not have any f/8 AF points.  You have a couple other features wrong, too, but that is the major one.  What differentiates the T71, 77D, and the 80D the most is the performance of their AF systems.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

So after some research, it appears the Nikon D3500 is a preferred camera over the Canon T7. However, my concern here lies my existing lenses. I have 3. They are:

Canon Zoom EF 28-135mm
Canon EF 70-300mm

CanonEF-S10-22mm

All above have motorized electronic stabilization. But, will they fit the Nikon? That matters because buying either the Rebel or Nikon already is exceeding my budget for all this so I'm trying to maximize the $449 investment by not losing out on my existing lenses. And while some don't care for Amazon, I've had GREAT results with them so I dont worry who they have fulfill the order - regardless, they stand behind it. (ask me how I know...)

And the Amazon T7 buy includes: 

• Canon EOS Rebel T7 DSLR Camera - EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens - 2x Transcend 32GB UHS-I U1 SD Memory Card - 58mm 2X Professional Telephoto Lens - High Definition 58mm Wide Angle Lens
  • Digital DSLR Auto Power Slave Flash - Photo4less DC59 Camera and Lens Case - RS-60 Remote Switch for Canon - 58mm Ultraviolet UV Protector Filter - Vivitar Memory Card Hardcase (24 Card Slots)
  • 60" Camera Video Tripod - 3 Piece Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD) 58mm - Hi-Speed SD USB Card Reader - LCD Screen Protectors (Clear) - Table Top Tripod - Lens Cap Holder

So the question is, will these Canon lenses above fit the Nikon 3400 or 3500? (I am assuming from what I've read they all will fit on the Rebel T7??)  

If they wont fit the Nikon, the rebel is probably the best bet. Admittedly NOT ideal, for my budget and existing lenses, it would seem to make the most sense...   Your thoughts are VERY welcome!!

@webdzynes wrote:

So after some research, it appears the Nikon D3500 is a preferred camera over the Canon T7. However, my concern here lies my existing lenses. I have 3. They are:

Canon Zoom EF 28-135mm
Canon EF 70-300mm

CanonEF-S10-22mm

All above have motorized electronic stabilization. But, will they fit the Nikon? That matters because buying either the Rebel or Nikon already is exceeding my budget for all this so I'm trying to maximize the $449 investment by not losing out on my existing lenses. And while some don't care for Amazon, I've had GREAT results with them so I dont worry who they have fulfill the order - regardless, they stand behind it. (ask me how I know...)

And the Amazon T7 buy includes: 

• Canon EOS Rebel T7 DSLR Camera - EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens - 2x Transcend 32GB UHS-I U1 SD Memory Card - 58mm 2X Professional Telephoto Lens - High Definition 58mm Wide Angle Lens
  • Digital DSLR Auto Power Slave Flash - Photo4less DC59 Camera and Lens Case - RS-60 Remote Switch for Canon - 58mm Ultraviolet UV Protector Filter - Vivitar Memory Card Hardcase (24 Card Slots)
  • 60" Camera Video Tripod - 3 Piece Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD) 58mm - Hi-Speed SD USB Card Reader - LCD Screen Protectors (Clear) - Table Top Tripod - Lens Cap Holder

So the question is, will these Canon lenses above fit the Nikon 3400 or 3500? (I am assuming from what I've read they all will fit on the Rebel T7??)  

If they wont fit the Nikon, the rebel is probably the best bet. Admittedly NOT ideal, for my budget and existing lenses, it would seem to make the most sense...   Your thoughts are VERY welcome!!

I think I can say with some confidence that Canon lenses will not fit on a Nikon body.  Canon moved from its old film mount to the EOS mount and increased the diameter of their lens mount to a much greater size than Nikon, which kept the mount it has had from the 60's.  Both Nikon and Canon have come out with new mounts for their latest Mirrorless cameras, but not to worry, Canon have an adaptor for their lenses if you ever go that way.

Considering the investment you have in Canon glass, in particular the 70-300 and the 10-22, I would stay with the Canon.  You have much more to lose by changing brands if your budget is that tight.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanx - That pretty much what I was thinking. I do have one other thought. For $419 I can pick up just a canon body, the EOS 200D (I guess its the same as the SL2). This comes with nothing but the body & a 64 GB card  - but I can use all my existing lenses so if I did this, I'd be giving up all the accessories I'd get in the T7 purchase. From what I read, this appears to be a much better camera than the T7 but its not overly clear.  What would you do - go with the 200D & card for $419 or the T7 and all the accessories for $449??  

@webdzynes wrote:

Thanx - That pretty much what I was thinking. I do have one other thought. For $419 I can pick up just a canon body, the EOS 200D (I guess its the same as the SL2). This comes with nothing but the body & a 64 GB card  - but I can use all my existing lenses so if I did this, I'd be giving up all the accessories I'd get in the T7 purchase. From what I read, this appears to be a much better camera than the T7 but its not overly clear.  What would you do - go with the 200D & card for $419 or the T7 and all the accessories for $449??  

It is tempting to go for the deal with the most gear, but given you have some excellent glass already and you are just starting on your photographic journey, the idea that less is more seems valid to me.  Get a decent body (that you can afford) and get to know the gear you have.

I don't live in the USA but I have had a quick look on Amazon.com and from the pricing there I would actually suggest geting the Canon EOS 6Ti, body only.  They appear to be going for about $450 and I think that it has the size to support the 70-300 for balance and is a decent camera for the price.  You might want to look for refurbished units from Canon as well.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I meant to throw the 6Ti into the mix as well (if available).

So the final choices - assuming the Nikon will NOT fit my lenses - are these:

1) Canon EOS 200D (same as SL2) & card for $419
2) Canon EOS Rebel
 T7 and all the accessories for $449  

3) Canon EOS 6Ti, body only - no lens (refurbished) for $449

If the 6Ti is no longer available, which of the other 2 would you pick?

Looking to buy later today...  Thank you all for your invaluable help!!

Announcements