cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kenko teleconverter C-AF 2X Teleplus MC 4 - no autofocus

chili77
Apprentice

Hi,

I found an older Kenko teleconverter (about 15 years old) C-AF 2X Teleplus MC 4 and tried to use it in several  camera-lens-combinations but the AF does not work. 5D, 7D and 700D with Canon 100mm/2.8, 50 mm/1.4 and 24 mm/2.8.

Is there anybody with similar experiences? Maybe the older converters are not suitable with modern cameras?

Thanks a lot!

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It's 15 years old?  It's probably dead in the water.  Or, it doesn't know anything about the lenses you're using.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I feared that. But I'd like to learn about the inner life of these converters. Are there any electronic parts? Or are the pins only a simple passthrouh from lens to camera?

@chili77 wrote:

I feared that. But I'd like to learn about the inner life of these converters. Are there any electronic parts? Or are the pins only a simple passthrouh from lens to camera?

The "C-AF" in the name suggests compatibility with Canon's autofocus system, and lenses of f/2.8 or faster ought to be able to handle a 2X teleconverter. But whether the specs have stayed enough the same over the years to guarantee compatibility with more modern Canon cameras is another matter. If it just doesn't work, you may already have your answer.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@chili77 wrote:

One thing is almost for certain, their current 2x converter is not compatible with EF-S lenses, which means an old one isn't either.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@chili77 wrote:

One thing is almost for certain, their current 2x converter is not compatible with EF-S lenses, which means an old one isn't either.

But with the possible exception of the 24mm, it doesn't appear that any of the lenses the OP has tried are EF-S.

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@chili77 wrote:

But with the possible exception of the 24mm, it doesn't appear that any of the lenses the OP has tried are EF-S.

No, we don't know what the 24mm lens is.  It could be either the EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens, or the EF-S pancake. 

I think you're right about the converter being incompatible with gear released after it originally hit the market.  Canon is up Mark III on their converters for that exact reason.  I don't think EF-S lenses even existed 15 years ago.

Thank you all for your your estimations! I thought that these converters are simple devices but maybe they are more complicated as it seemes.

They are pretty simple.  Many of them do not communicate with the camera.  Do a web search for how to cover up certain pins in the TC so that the TC won't communicate with the camera. 

@chili77 wrote:

Thank you all for your your estimations! I thought that these converters are simple devices but maybe they are more complicated as it seemes.

Extension tubes are simple, teleconverters a bit less so.

Bob
Announcements