cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It isCanon Speedlite 600EX II-RT compatible with the Canon EOS 6D?

Canon_Fan
Apprentice

I would like to know if the Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT  is compatible with the Canon EOS 6D

4 REPLIES 4

Yes.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Yes.

Good morning.  I hope you're right.  I noticed B&H put them on sale for less than the 600EX RT, so I ordered two.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Yes.

Good morning.  I hope you're right.  I noticed B&H put them on sale for less than the 600EX RT, so I ordered two.

Just to be clear, I have neither a 6D nor a 600EX II-RT. (The closest I come is a 5D3 and a 600EX-RT.) But the Mk II is an ETTL device, and the differences fronm the Mk I are relatively minor. So there certainly shouldn't be any incompatibility. I.e., I'm sure none was intended.  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Yes.

Just to be clear, I have neither a 6D nor a 600EX II-RT. (The closest I come is a 5D3 and a 600EX-RT.) But the Mk II is an ETTL device, and the differences fronm the Mk I are relatively minor. So there certainly shouldn't be any incompatibility. I.e., I'm sure none was intended.  Smiley Happy

I never had any doubt about compatibility until I tried to ise it.  It didn't work.  No communication between camera and flash.

I got the flash, charged it up, mounted it on camera, switched everybody on, and nothing.  The camera would not recognize, and talk to the flash.  The flash fired, but images were way overexposed.  If I dialed back the flash to 1/128, then shots were as severely overexposed, but the flash still wouldn't talk to the camera. 

The 6D kept telling me flash was turned off, or an incompatible flash was attached.  I would get the same message if tried to enter the flash special functions menu, too.  Tried a different camera, 80D, and it worked just fine.  I gave one of the two flashes to my in-law with the 80D. 

Then, I had a stroke of genius, I tried the second flash I had ordered.  Taa-Daa.  The second flash wouldn't talks to the 6D, either.  I double checked that I had external flash enabled,which it was.  I still couldn't get commnication between camera and flash with the 6D

Then, I had a stroke of genius.  I went into the 6D camera menus and disabled the external flash, which greyed out the other menu choices associated with the flash.  Except, the flash special functions was still lit.  I tried it, and it worked.  I saw all of the special functions that I had seen with the 80D.  So, I re-enabled the external flash in the 6D menu.  Suddenly, the 6D and the flash were talking, just like they were with the 80D.  Test shots were not overexposed.  So far, so good.

Now, I have to figure out how best to use the thing, so that I don't have to use green square mode all the time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements