cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with 5D Mark iii

Angelasue
Apprentice

Really hoping someone can Help! I have had my Mark iii for a little over a year and have hardly been able to use it for work due to the way it picks up these massive reflections off of every single white surface (table linens, a piece of paper, the brides dress, a tiny white bracelet, ETC. - they all cast this hazy, white reflective light). I have been searching for a way to fix this, and am really hoping that it is something obvious that I am just missing. Before I bought the Mark iii I was shooting with two mark ii's and did not have this issue with either of them. I have also found that even after having my lenses calibrated, I end up with lots of very soft focused images. I have been shooting for eyars and have never run into these issue, so I am frustrated and perplexed. Help!

17 REPLIES 17

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What lens are you using? 

Which metering mode are you using?

Are using a lens filter?

Do you use a lens hood?

Can you post a sample of the problem you're having?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

-I have been having the issue with every lense I put on it (although it's at its worst when I have my 35mm on).

-I have played with both spot metering and evaluative metering, the issue was consistent for both.

- I do have filters on most of my lenses. I tested with the filter on and off, it was slightly better with my filter on.

-I do use a lens hood most of the time.

- I have tried attaching a photo where It is sort of a "worse case scenario" because I was using flash, so it's especially bad (you can see her white dress, and even the white flowers giving off a hazy glow) so that you see what Im talking about.

Thank you for your help!

5L4A3821.jpg

@Angelasue wrote:

-I have been having the issue with every lense I put on it (although it's at its worst when I have my 35mm on).

-I have played with both spot metering and evaluative metering, the issue was consistent for both.

- I do have filters on most of my lenses. I tested with the filter on and off, it was slightly better with my filter on.

- I have tried attaching a photo where It is sort of a "worse case scenario" because I was using flash, so it's especially bad (you can see her white dress, and even the white flowers giving off a hazy glow) so that you see what Im talking about.

Thank you for your help!

5L4A3821.jpg

The bride's dress and the flowers are overexposed, and the foliage in the foreground is out of focus. I suspect that those issues are responsible for most of the problem. It's also possible that you're geting light reflected off of particulate matter in the air; using less-direct flash might help with that. High humidity can cause similar effects, especially if the light is too direct and/or too bright.

I don't think it's anything intrinsic to the camera. I've done a lot of event photography with my 5D3 in the two years I've had it and have not experienced the issue to any noticeable degree.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@Angelasue wrote:

Thank you for your help!

[deleted]

What model lens were you using with the 5D3 for that shot? 

The only time I have seen anything like that in my images is when I have tried to use an older lens, but with a lens mount adapter.  The adapter would create a hazing effect only when images contained a lot of dynamic range.  The brighter areas would haze up, just like that.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Angelasue wrote:

Thank you for your help!

[deleted]

What model lens were you using with the 5D3 for that shot? 

The only time I have seen anything like that in my images is when I have tried to use an older lens, but with a lens mount adapter.  The adapter would create a hazing effect only when images contained a lot of dynamic range.  The brighter areas would haze up, just like that.

Some very early Mark III's did have a light leak, but I'm under the impression that it affected only the metering sensitivity, not the image directly.

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Some very early Mark III's did have a light leak, but I'm under the impression that it affected only the metering sensitivity, not the image directly.

I hate to say it, but it looks like a lens problem to me.  Hopefully the problem is as simple as a dirty, smudgy, front element.

diverhank
Authority

It appears to me this is a post processing artifact, rather than camera or lens.  My 5D Mark III does not exhibit this phenomenon at all.

When I say post processing, it could mean in-camera post process as well as out of camera.  

To eliminate in-camera post processing problems, try turning off the following:

1. Auto lighting optimizer

2. Peripheral illumination correction

3. distortion correction

4. chromatic aberration correction

5. Highlight tone priority

6. Resetting jpg picture style settings to standard (non-customized settings)

I don't turn any of these on.  I choose to apply correction in post processing where I have more control.

You didn't say what post processing programs you are using.  If you are using one (like Light Room or Photoshop), it is possible that a filtering effect has been inadvertently activated (automatically applied to your pictures)  when you download them.  I've seen this sort of effect applied to wedding and portrait pictures in post before.  I'd inspect the pictures directly off the SD or CF cards to see if the artifacts are there.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Well I really don't know how much experience the afore mentioned commentators have had in African-American weddings but I suspect it is little to none.  This was, and is, one of my favorite challenges and I love to shoot them.  The biggest problem with any dark skinned person and a white dress is the DR is beyond what the camera can do.  If you desire the details of the face and also in the dress you need to really watch your settings.

This is your problem.  Never use direct flash, never.  Always shoot RAW. And be careful in your post editor which should be Photoshop/Lightroom if you do desire the best results. These are the best and is what the best successful pros use. Sometimes you must do extra special tricks in post to get the best looking shot. That is why you must shoot RAW.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Well I really don't know how much experience the afore mentioned commentators have had in African-American weddings but I suspect it is little to none. ...

Something tells me you'd be wrong.

Bob
Announcements