cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with 5D mk iii shutter

argyle_
Apprentice

Hey all.

I am having issues with my 5D3's shutter. I have to hold the shutter button down fully after focusing (both AF and MF) for a few seconds before I get a response from the shutter. The actual amount of time varies, and occasionally after shooting a few "delayed" shots, I get normal responses from the shutter, but only for a limited amount of time. I had some success earlier this evening with immediate shots when I first turned on the camera, but it slowly went back to the "delay".

I have played around in all the shooting modes and have done a hard camera reset, a firmware replacement, and have cleared the camera's settings entirely. Also tried with various lenses on manual and auto focus.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, I would appreciate any advice. I just bought this camera used from a fellow who was a film professor at a nearby university and used it extremely carefully. I am stumped.

Thanks!

- Austin

7 REPLIES 7

hsbn
Whiz

Can you explain more? By delay do you meant delay until you see the photo on the LCD or delay until you hear the sound shutter open/close.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

By delay I mean there is a delay between fully depressing the shutter button and the shutter opening and closing.

cale_kat
Mentor

It sounds like the Drive mode is set to 2sec delay or something. Press and release the AF * Drive button in front of the LCD screen and select the single shot mode (looks like a single box in the upper left corner of the LCD.)

Trust me, I've already played with drive modes. I tried various drive modes (silent, high speed, single shot, etc.) and all the AF modes (one shot, AI Focus, AI Servo).

What does the seller say? I suppose you've been in touch with him or her.

Does the camera behave normaly when using Manual focus?

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I just bought this camera used from a fellow who was a film professor at a nearby university and used it extremely carefully."

This is where you need to start.  He doesn't owe you a photography class but he should feel compelled to clarify the camera to you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements