cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to know which camera is better (for a noob)

kinmo
Apprentice

Hi there. I'd like to get into the hobby and buy a used dslr for around 100/200 euro (im in italy). The used market over here is kinda all over the place it seems. I've seen the same cameras going for wildly different price ranges.

Is there a way to "rank" the canon cameras in a way that makes it easier to understand which one i should try to snipe? I know the naming convention of xd 》x0d 》 x00d etc. But how do i know if a 50d (quite old) it is still better than a 1200d or a 2000d etc? Because even if it's just for hobby i'd rather spend the same amount of money on a slightly better body, or even better: pay less for a better deal and having more money to buy lenses.

Thank you very much!

2 REPLIES 2

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

kinmo,

Rather than thinking in terms of "better", maybe think in terms of "features".

Newer models will have more features than older models. Try to decide which features you want within the constraints of the money you have to spend.

For instance, if I understand it, the 50D doesn't do video. Is video important to you? If so, then you wouldn't want to buy a 50D, etc. Do you want to take a lot of pictures in really low light or dark conditions? Then you want a camera that handles higher ISO values.

And, in any case, if you are going to buy used, buy from a reputable dealer, or someone you can trust.

Steve Thomas

I had a 60D which I liked alot. I see them for $200-$300 USD.

Announcements