cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

,Is there a standard 55mm,1.8/1.4.Non zoom EF/EFS.Barrel focus lens with af. option for d1000 rebel

opal2324
Contributor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You would really have to look and pay attention to tell the difference between a shot with a 50mm and a 55mm.

Probably lees than 3 degrees if I remember correctly.  I had one, still do, back in the film days.

Sony has a 55mm f1.8 from Carl Zeiss for the A7, I think, and there may be an adapter to EF.  I would avoid this, however, and just get the EF 50mm f1.4.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

You see zooms that go to 55mm, but 55mm primes (slang for non-zoom lenses) are kinda rare these days. 50mm has always been the full-frame standard lens and still is. Legend has it that the 55mm, and its cousin the 58mm, were designed to accommodate early film SLRs because a slightly longer lens was easier to keep out of the way of the mirror. When they figured out how to make a 50mm lens and mirror assembly that would stay out of each other's way, the other two focal lengths went into decline.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
Not 55mm... but close

EF 50mm f/1.8 (this is the lens nick-named the "nifty fifty") - it's biggest feature is it's price tag.

EF 50mm f/1.4 USM - this lens is much better than the nifty-fifty. If you can afford it, get it. The buld quality is better. The focus motor is significantly better (faster and quieter). It offers a lower focal ratio. It also has an 8 blade aperture mechanism instead of a 5 blade mechanis (the nifty-fifty is 5 blades) and the quality of blur when using shallow depth if fiedl to blur the background is significantly better.

There is an EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM -- which is a macro lens (it can be used for non-macro work as well... but its main benefit is the macro capability.) The main feature of macro is to be able to achieve focus at extremely close distances... but a side benefit is that they usually also have much better ability to resolve fine detail. It's focal ratio isn't as low.

To get a 55mm focal length would require that you use one of the zoom lenses -- but these wont be able to offer the low focal ratios of the prime lenses. Canon does have an EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM zoom which is lower than the kit 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 -- but not as low as the f/1.8 or f/1.4 primes.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You would really have to look and pay attention to tell the difference between a shot with a 50mm and a 55mm.

Probably lees than 3 degrees if I remember correctly.  I had one, still do, back in the film days.

Sony has a 55mm f1.8 from Carl Zeiss for the A7, I think, and there may be an adapter to EF.  I would avoid this, however, and just get the EF 50mm f1.4.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements