cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the focus on the 77D the same as the focus on the 80D???

dakota2
Contributor

Is the focus the same on the 77D as the fast as the 80D?  Feedback appreciated   Thanks  Bill

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't have a 77D to compare but I suspect the 80D will be better.  Maybe not at middle of the road ISO's but at the higher ones it should. They share a lot of the same things like the sensor.  Both of these have phase-detect pixels, etc..   IMHO, I see no reason to choose the 77D in favor of the 80D except cost.  The 80D is an excellent caamera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@dakota2 wrote:

Is the focus the same on the 77D as the fast as the 80D?  Feedback appreciated   Thanks  Bill

No, the differences are like night and day.  The 77D lacks advanced tracking modes when using AI Servo.  While both bodies have 45 cross-type AF points, only the 80D has 27 AF points that focus at f/8.  The 77D has zero f/8 AF points.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the reply that answered my question

Bill

Johnw1
Enthusiast

The 77D uses the same setup as the 80D without micro focus adjustment. Meaning it uses the same 45 point focus grid and has the same cross type focusing duel pixels.  However, I don't know to what degree one can customize focus on the 77D. On the 80D there is a lot of customizing ability the user can take afvantage of. Is it as fast? I see no reason why it wouldn't be just as fast. 

@Johnw1 wrote:

The 77D uses the same setup as the 80D without micro focus adjustment. Meaning it uses the same 45 point focus grid and has the same cross type focusing duel pixels.  However, I don't know to what degree one can customize focus on the 77D. On the 80D there is a lot of customizing ability the user can take afvantage of. Is it as fast? I see no reason why it wouldn't be just as fast. 

You are mostly correct.  Both bodies have 45 AF points, but that is where the differences cease.

The 77D has a shutter lag of 0.07 seconds, compared to 0.06 seconds in the 80D.  The 77D is rated 6 frames per second in continuous shooting mode, while the 80D is rated at 7 FPS.  

The 77D also has a significantly smaller batter compared to the 80D.  While this difference is probably negligible with an EF-S 18-55mm kit lens, Ohm’s Law says that the smaller reserve of battery power will mean the camera will not focus as quickly, or accurately, with the larger high performance lenses, which have bigger AF motors.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Johnw1 wrote:

You are mostly correct.  Both bodies have 45 AF points, but that is where the differences cease.

The 77D has a shutter lag of 0.07 seconds, compared to 0.06 seconds in the 80D.  The 77D is rated 6 frames per second in continuous shooting mode, while the 80D is rated at 7 FPS.  

The 77D also has a significantly smaller batter compared to the 80D.  While this difference is probably negligible with an EF-S 18-55mm kit lens, Ohm’s Law says that the smaller reserve of battery power will mean the camera will not focus as quickly, or accurately, with the larger high performance lenses, which have bigger AF motors.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are not in any disagreement about this. The 80D is a great camera. A winner! I have two of them. However for what the 77D is for if it is for anything it can be considered the little brother to the 80D and could be better when traveling. Lighter and smaller. I really don't like its pentamirror for the OVF. Things like that are offputting.

"Is it as fast? I see no reason why it wouldn't be just as fast."

You are probably correct.  I could see a noticeable slow down in the highest ISO's but under normal real world situations, no. I am surprised we didn't have a techno-nerd jump in with some lab timing claiming the 77D is much slower!  Whatever, I can't see it noticeable.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements