cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is EOS M50 MK II worth it?

manjuna2
Apprentice

My friend said he would sell me this camera (used) for £250 ($320) with a battery and charger. It also comes with the kit lens. Just wondering if this camera is good for a beginner - it would be my first camera, and if it is a good deal for the price?

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

The people who own M series cameras and lenses seem to be very pleased with them.  However, the M series has been discontinued by Canon.  I would not recommend investing in it now.  

Just because I wouldn't doesn't mean you shouldn't.  An M50 mkII with EF-M15-45 used in good condition would probably run you $600-$650.  You're going to need a couple of memory cards and 1 additional battery.  What kind of condition is the camera in?  Try offering  $300.  I'd pass if the camera had any visible wear or damage.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Really a lot depends on your intent as regards photography.  If you do not see yourself wanting to use the gear in the longer term and, more importantly investing in a system, then the M50II at that price might be a good deal.  As my respected colleague Rick said, the M-series is now no longer continued, so if you don't intend upgrade the system over time, it may be a good deal.

If you do see yourself embarking on an upgrade program, then go for the R-series cameras which are the only platform currently under development for Canon right now.  The cameras and lenses are amazing units and do a lot of things that all previous systems could not approach -  but they will involve a greater investment.  You get what you pay for.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Trevor is providing sound advice.  😉. I enjoy a full size DSLR.  Buy what you are comfortable with.  The M line can be used to teach you the fundamentals.  It's lenses cannot be adapted to a newer body, so plan for this if you embark on that route.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

manjuna2
Apprentice

@manjuna2 wrote:

My friend said he would sell me this camera (used) for £250 ($320) with a battery and charger. It also comes with the kit lens. Just wondering if this camera is good for a beginner - it would be my first camera, and if it is a good deal for the price https://vlc.onl/ ?

I got this,...

Announcements