cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R7 Noise issues at higher ISO, what am I doing wrong?

Kngawolf
Apprentice

Hi Good people 😁

I have been taking images in some lower light situations of my 13 year old daughters karate exploits.

However at 4000 ISO and even 2500 ISO I am seeing severe noise, even to the point of the images not being usable.

For the last event it was my R&, EF 70-200F2.8ii plus EF->RF adaptor
Typically 160th/s-F2.8 ISO4000

I am not trying to pixel peek and identify eyelashes by name on a A0 print, but my old Canon 650D gave me better results.

Basically I am wondering what I have gotten wrong, in settings or am I misjudging  the light in the arena. I cannot imagine this is the quality of the sensor, albeit a densely packed high megapixel unit, much more likely an error from behind the camera

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14E3RbxV3JYjgRiAFjOYeZjPwT9VZ-t2t/view?usp=drive_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lx5a7AhMfiTwE8MrJkOt_tRdXWO1cPEc/view?usp=drive_link

2 REPLIES 2

Peter
Authority
Authority

No permission to download your content...

Right click and make them shareable.

ctitanic
Enthusiast

I do not think that you are doing anything wrong. The R7 is well known to be noisy.Overall, APS-C cameras tend to produce more noise than full frame cameras. The R7 perform extremely well in outside spaces but not so good inside.

My recommendation from my own experience when I owned the R7 is to try always to overexpose (or expose to the right) a little bit. It's better to correct the exposure if you overexposed because you are not adding noise to your picture. If you try to correct the shadows in your picture by adding light you will increase the noise. 

Another recommendation is to use DXO PureRaw or Topaz Denoise as part of your post process routine. I personally started to process all my files coming from the R7 in DXO PureRaw and after that process them in LightRoom Classic.

Shooting RAW will help also because you have more room of improvement than if you try to edit JPGs.

Here is a video that I recommend you to check.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.
Announcements