cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I'm using Manual Mode I don't get how to focus? Does autofocus still work?

JPhardboiled
Contributor

I like having control of aperture and shutter speed.  But I'm having alot of problems focusing on subjects.  How do I increase my control of focusing?  I do have the auto focus on but does it even work in manual mode?  

What are the steps to focus in manual mode?  Is it anything in the center is focus and hold the shutter button halfway down to engage autofocus?

7 REPLIES 7

ScottyP
Authority

What camera is this?

Manual mode on the shooting mode dial has nothing to do with focus.  There is a switch on the lenses that sets them for AF or MF but that is different. 

You can select an autofocus point for the camera to use. This is generally better than just letting the camera pick which AF points to use in each shot. That way you can pick the AF point for the camera to focus on and then you place that one red AF point on your subject and the camera will make at least that one spot on the target to be in focus. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

mark iii

If you mean 5D Mark III and you have camera in M (Manual) mode and lens switch set to AF (Auto Focus) you just point an shoot.

Camera will focus and expose an image. If shutter speed is too slow (slower thatn 1/ISO) you may get a blurry image becasue of camera shake.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@JPhardboiled wrote:

I like having control of aperture and shutter speed.  But I'm having alot of problems focusing on subjects.  How do I increase my control of focusing?  I do have the auto focus on but does it even work in manual mode?  

What are the steps to focus in manual mode?  Is it anything in the center is focus and hold the shutter button halfway down to engage autofocus?

While I'm not a big fan of this book, many people swear by it, and I think you could gain a lot from it.

Understanding Exposure, by Bryan Peterson

Here is a link to the older version which is still good for what you need, and sells for under $5.

Plus, an awful lot of basic questions are addressed in the manual that came with the camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Plus, an awful lot of basic questions are addressed in the manual that came with the camera.

I agree, but, I suspect the OP may even mean sharpness instead of focus, which is why I recommended the Understanding Exposure book. Too many people use the phrase out of focus, when they really mean their photos are just blurry from other reasons besides focus. 

"Too many people use the phrase out of focus, when they really mean their photos are just blurry ..."

Amen! 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements