cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I buy a Varionar lens(SRL) will it work with my rebel t3i?

Pibc1104
Contributor

I am in desperate need of a zoom lens for my rebel t3i and quick so I found one on Craigslist in my area but the seller said it was used for film cameras, are they compatible?

5 REPLIES 5

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

The Rebel T3i has an EF-S lens mount.  Lenses with an EF-S or EF lens mount should work.  So if you're buying a lens, you need to make sure that it is an EF or EF-S lens.  Some people will advertise lenses as being "for Canon", but this is worthless -- such a lens could have an RF or FD mount, or even something else.

I don't know anything about the Varionar lens you're referring to -- and you didn't provide much information -- but it doesn't sound like something that would have an EF lens mount.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Even if it is an EF mount, there are many variations on "compatible". For example, it may lack autofocus or the ability to automatically set aperture.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Given that the seller states it is for a film camera, and given that I have not seen that brand name ever being sold, I am highly confident that it is a manual FD mount lens for film cameras released before the EOS EF mount in the mid-1980s.

It would not be compatible with your Rebel.

A good zoom for your Rebel would be the 55-250 lens from Canon.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Based on the little googling I've done, I think it's more likely to be Mamiya than FD.  Certainly right about the date though; the Varionar lenses I'm seeing are from the 1970s, well before EF existed.

@AtticusLake wrote:

Based on the little googling I've done, I think it's more likely to be Mamiya than FD.  Certainly right about the date though; the Varionar lenses I'm seeing are from the 1970s, well before EF existed.

I agree that none of the search hits I saw mentioned Canon. I was probably incorrect in assuming that the seller at least knew it was for a Canon camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements