cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDxII shortfalls.

Edward
Enthusiast

The lack of Wi-Fi, HDR capability, a full touch LCD with automatic brightness control (as in the 5D series), short battery life and failure to reduce size and weight are disappointing. The card slots arrangement is strange, both cards fronts should have faced in the same direction when inserting and the Slot 1 selected for the CFast card instead of the old Compact Flash. The improvements in image quality and autofocus performance in my opinion, are minimal compared to the previous model, not to mention the competition. And the dual battery charger; why not a charger for a single battery or having an option for buying one? In these days of flying, any reduction in size and weight makes the gear easy to carry and accepted as a carry-on v.s. a check-in---international airlines are limiting carry-ons to just one not to exceed to 9 kilos.

­

Ergonomically the camera's undersized control buttons make it difficult to use with gloves in cold weather, and the failure to provided illuminated ones make them hard to see at nighttime (Yes Canon, there is nightime photography). When using long telephotos handheld or on a tripod, the 3 control buttons on the top left of the camera are hard to operate and should have been positioned as in the 5D series or 7DII for ease of use and conformity of design. This change would also have resulted in a cleaner top deck look and reduction in control buttons for the 1DxII. The remote control terminal at the bottom of the handgrip should have been moved to the front left as in the current 5DIV, its present location interferes when handholding the 1DxII when devices are attached.

Most camera manufacturers release professional gear having the best technologies that then trickles down into cheaper models; Canon has this reversed. As an example, touch screen has now moved up to the 5DIV; it could have been incorporated into the 1DxII. T­his stingy marketing strategy of small incremental improvements causes Canon sales; the reason why I am not purchasing a 5DIV and may skip the 1DxIII too.

35 REPLIES 35

Debugged?  As an example: why does the 1DxII has some touch screen technology in Video Mode and not in Photo mode? Some of these technologies have been around in non-professional models for at least 3 generations.  Touch technology will allow me to operate the camera faster not requiring to push multiple buttons and rotating wheels.

Edward wrote:

The lack of Wi-Fi, HDR capability, a full touch LCD with automatic brightness control (as in the 5D series), short battery life and failure to reduce size and weight are disappointing. The card slots arrangement is strange, both cards fronts should have faced in the same direction when inserting and the Slot 1 selected for the CFast card instead of the old Compact Flash. The improvements in image quality and autofocus performance in my opinion, are minimal compared to the previous model, not to mention the competition. And the dual battery charger; why not a charger for a single battery or having an option for buying one? In these days of flying, any reduction in size and weight makes the gear easy to carry and accepted as a carry-on v.s. a check-in---international airlines are limiting carry-ons to just one not to exceed to 9 kilos.

­

Ergonomically the camera's undersized control buttons make it difficult to use with gloves in cold weather, and the failure to provided illuminated ones make them hard to see at nighttime (Yes Canon, there is nightime photography). When using long telephotos handheld or on a tripod, the 3 control buttons on the top left of the camera are hard to operate and should have been positioned as in the 5D series or 7DII for ease of use and conformity of design. This change would also have resulted in a cleaner top deck look and reduction in control buttons for the 1DxII. The remote control terminal at the bottom of the handgrip should have been moved to the front left as in the current 5DIV, its present location interferes when handholding the 1DxII when devices are attached.

Most camera manufacturers release professional gear having the best technologies that then trickles down into cheaper models; Canon has this reversed. As an example, touch screen has now moved up to the 5DIV; it could have been incorporated into the 1DxII. T­his stingy marketing strategy of small incremental improvements causes Canon sales; the reason why I am not purchasing a 5DIV and may skip the 1DxIII too.

You're telling us that you bought a $6000 camera without researching its features (or lack thereof) any better than that? Did you not make a requirements list and check it against the specs? The only thing I can think of to tell you is that if I'd done that, I sure wouldn't admit it in this forum.  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I am telling you that Canon can build a better camera and due to marketing strategies is shortchanging its customers.  Not my first one; just realized the scheme.

This is not the first 1D series I own...and this entry was mostly addressed to Canon.  Wish the participants comments will be based in the items addressed, what I wrote is based on my needs and others wants may be different and should express them.  After 27 years with Canon I am finally frustrated with their marketing policies of small incremental improvements when they have the technology now to make the tools better performing.  The cost is irrelevant to me...performance is.  Canon should be taking a lesson of what happened to Kodak.  Evolve faster or become the lunch of Sony and iPhone.

The main issue:  Is Canon listening?

"This is not the first 1D series I own..."

Sorry but it came across that way.  I still wonder if it isn't?  Personally, I don't want wi-fi on the camera.  And they can remove the video ability for all I care.  Never use it.

"The main issue:  Is Canon listening?"

Thankfully not from this forum.  This is a public forum.  If you want to address your concerns, you need to get a hold of Canon.

I hope they are paying attention to me, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

This a Canon Forum owned and monitored by Canon...what a better way to make them aware.  And all can help by concurring or not with me.  A way to let Canon know the needs of the customers and not to rely solely in their "experts list"  that they claim to consult. 

"...rely solely in their "experts list"  that they claim to consult. "

Exactly why the people at Canon that could make a difference won't ever see this.

We have differing ideas of what a professional camera should be.  The 1 series, as it is, fits me perfectly.  I like it just the way it is.  No wi-fi and no video wanted.  If you want all that stuff let them put it on a 5D MkV.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The 1DX Mk II is not the only camera Canon makes.

If a 5D Mk VI has all or most of the features you want, it seems silly to limit yourself to a specific camera simply because it has the 1D moniker, or because it is considered their 'Pro' camera. 

Have 7Dii, used a 5DIV and still a 1DxII...the only reason for the later that allows me to capture images that the others don't. Consider that my entry deals with possibilities to make the Canon cameras adopt proven technical innovations already in Canon's toolbag introduced now. Revolution v.s. evolution.

Hello Edward!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post! We have sent you a direct message regarding your this matter. Please check there for further instructions. We look forward to your reply.

Announcements