cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDxII shortfalls.

Edward
Enthusiast

The lack of Wi-Fi, HDR capability, a full touch LCD with automatic brightness control (as in the 5D series), short battery life and failure to reduce size and weight are disappointing. The card slots arrangement is strange, both cards fronts should have faced in the same direction when inserting and the Slot 1 selected for the CFast card instead of the old Compact Flash. The improvements in image quality and autofocus performance in my opinion, are minimal compared to the previous model, not to mention the competition. And the dual battery charger; why not a charger for a single battery or having an option for buying one? In these days of flying, any reduction in size and weight makes the gear easy to carry and accepted as a carry-on v.s. a check-in---international airlines are limiting carry-ons to just one not to exceed to 9 kilos.

­

Ergonomically the camera's undersized control buttons make it difficult to use with gloves in cold weather, and the failure to provided illuminated ones make them hard to see at nighttime (Yes Canon, there is nightime photography). When using long telephotos handheld or on a tripod, the 3 control buttons on the top left of the camera are hard to operate and should have been positioned as in the 5D series or 7DII for ease of use and conformity of design. This change would also have resulted in a cleaner top deck look and reduction in control buttons for the 1DxII. The remote control terminal at the bottom of the handgrip should have been moved to the front left as in the current 5DIV, its present location interferes when handholding the 1DxII when devices are attached.

Most camera manufacturers release professional gear having the best technologies that then trickles down into cheaper models; Canon has this reversed. As an example, touch screen has now moved up to the 5DIV; it could have been incorporated into the 1DxII. T­his stingy marketing strategy of small incremental improvements causes Canon sales; the reason why I am not purchasing a 5DIV and may skip the 1DxIII too.

35 REPLIES 35

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

You are right it is worthless. I'll give you $300 for it shipped so you don't have to deal with those short comings. 

I would not like to sell it to you since it is now a Canon for repairs. Taking $300 from U would not be ethical.

There is always the Nikon D5.  It is a fantastic camera.  Sounds like you need one.

Most of the things you have asked for on the 1D Mk II, I don't want.  Neither here nor there but we are out there.  The only change I would like is the price. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

There is always the Nikon D5.  It is a fantastic camera.  Sounds like you need one.

Most of the things you have asked for on the 1D Mk II, I don't want.  Neither here not there but we are out there.  The only change I would like is the price. 

I am no professional, but I am forced to agree with you.  Most of the list is bells and whistles, with very little to do with producing high quality images.  Adding bellls and whistles, means additional programming.  You may not have the programming memory space for such things.  I think like an engineer because I am an engineer.

I would think that a touch screen on a professional camera would be undesired.  What happens when it is used in bad weather, and drops of water collect on on the display ...  and drops start dribbling down the screen?  I don't think the camera would like rain drops of water striking the touch sensitive screen.  I am certain that would not like it.  

How do you wipe off the water?  I suppose that you could blank the screen and then wipe it, but it would be better if you could simply disable the touch sensitivity, altogether.  If you can disable it, then why even include it?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It has nothing to do with bells and whistles or memory.  The 5DIV has some of the items I am asking about...I am talking about making the camera more user friendly with less control buttons and reducing the number of actions to use the camera.  The touch screen will provide that...and the 1DxII has that limited capability when using the video function to select AF in the LCD; the engineers did it 1/2 way.  Of course it may be possible that Canon will have a revelation and decide to issue software to expand the screen touch feature to the rest of the camera.

Rain drops drops does not cause the activation of the touch screen functions in either the camera discussed using video function or in the 5DIV functions during regular photography or video function.  How do I know?  Have both cameras that used extensivel in the rain in Ecuador recently. Weather proofing has not been and issue with these cameras so far;  the only issue regarding weather regarding these cameras when used in cold when using gloves since the buttons are so small.

Glad you agree me.  I am satisfied with the image quality but the AF with 6 different modes, is complicated and gives me 30-40 images out of focus but thanks to the 14 f/s seconds some are useful.

It is in my thoughts...

@Edward wrote:

I would not like to sell it to you since it is now a Canon for repairs. Taking $300 from U would not be ethical.

AH!  I see said the blind man.  I hope it works out for the best.  What happened to yours?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waiting for Canon to tell me...member of CPS who is supposed to give me a 3 days turn-around repair time; it is not happening.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

"Most camera manufacturers release professional gear having the best technologies that then trickles down into cheaper models; Canon has this reversed. As an example, touch screen has now moved up to the 5DIV; it could have been incorporated into the 1DxII. T­his stingy marketing strategy of small incremental improvements causes Canon sales; the reason why I am not purchasing a 5DIV and may skip the 1DxIII too"

Perhaps Canon's strategy is to release those features NOT in the pro level machine first to get it debugged in the field. Pros who depend on the tool for their living might not want to be the first adopters. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements