cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm looking to upgrade my gear from the Canon T5 Rebel

ASolo
Contributor

Hi there everyone, 

I'm a photography major at college looking to upgrade my Canon T5 Rebel to something more professional but budget friendly (personal budget $800). I've had my current gear since 2015 and I believe it is time for a step up, not just the body but a lens as well (doesn't need to be the latest model). 

Some specifications I'm looking for is that it can be connected through wifi, is good for videos (since I'll be taking a video journalism class), has a movable LCD screen (doesn't need to be touch) and works well in low light. As for the lens something that's versatile and can be used for various things like car and portrait photography. 

The current lenses I own are the kit lenses, 18-55mm and the 75-300mm.

I'd be more than glad to hear y'alls recommendations since I've been looking around by myself but it is just all a little bit to overwhelming.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Asolo,

I'm beginning to believe you are a first year student.  

We've given you the best advice.  Sorry if you don't like the way your T5 looks...  "literally falling apart" were your words I believe.

You asked for our opinions, and we gave them.  Its in your best interest to go mirrorless taking into consideration the age of your gear, your chosen discipline and what it appears you want to pursue professionally.  

I'd stop floundering on the DSLR thing.  Keep saving if that's what its going to take. Borrow, hit up your grandparents, whatever you need to do.  A DSLR is a dead end, especially for someone who wants to make photography a career.  If you had significant investment in EF glass then I might understand, but you don't.

I know what the new camera itch feels like.  Don't give in until you are in a position to make a smart, carefully planned move.  One that makes the most financial sense given your situation. Last time I'm going to say this.  Buy once, buy right or you are going to buy twice.  Thats all I'm going to say.  Wishing you the best of luck in your endeavors.  👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44

Apparently it opened a debate. As many have recommended the R10 I leaned towards that one but it goes well over budget even when looking at the refurbished one. I would just be able to get the body, no lenses or even the adapter (shipping is another issue). So truthfully I might keep looking at options and even stick to DSLR for the moment if needed (I know, I know, mirrorless is the way to go). 

Look if you love your M50 that’s great but it should not be encouraged as a possible replacement for anybody in July 2023 and the current state of Canon and photography in general. IMHO, as always.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

That’s why I suggested a newer used Rebel. You like what you have so it makes sense to just do a stop gap upgrade knowing something else will be in your future.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Asolo,

I'm beginning to believe you are a first year student.  

We've given you the best advice.  Sorry if you don't like the way your T5 looks...  "literally falling apart" were your words I believe.

You asked for our opinions, and we gave them.  Its in your best interest to go mirrorless taking into consideration the age of your gear, your chosen discipline and what it appears you want to pursue professionally.  

I'd stop floundering on the DSLR thing.  Keep saving if that's what its going to take. Borrow, hit up your grandparents, whatever you need to do.  A DSLR is a dead end, especially for someone who wants to make photography a career.  If you had significant investment in EF glass then I might understand, but you don't.

I know what the new camera itch feels like.  Don't give in until you are in a position to make a smart, carefully planned move.  One that makes the most financial sense given your situation. Last time I'm going to say this.  Buy once, buy right or you are going to buy twice.  Thats all I'm going to say.  Wishing you the best of luck in your endeavors.  👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I totally agree with Rick and again encourage you to carefully read and apply the article I sent on understanding features vs benefits and applying that to the process to getting new gear.

Considerations for buying new gear 

If you have a limited budget, which appears to be the case, then define the benefits ( not features) you need - listing each as a must have, desireable, and would be nice. Concentrate on the needs first, considering the camera as part of a system, not just the body in isolation, if you are looking at a longer-term commitment to photography.  It was that factor that made most of us recommend a R- series MILC.

It's about balancing priorities. Do you want to wait and save up for a camera that offers every feature, or get into a system that will grow with you, but has the features to support your critical benefts list, even if it does not have all your would be nice things.

I wish you good luck in your studies and activities.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
click here to view the gallery
Announcements