cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm looking to upgrade my gear from the Canon T5 Rebel

ASolo
Contributor

Hi there everyone, 

I'm a photography major at college looking to upgrade my Canon T5 Rebel to something more professional but budget friendly (personal budget $800). I've had my current gear since 2015 and I believe it is time for a step up, not just the body but a lens as well (doesn't need to be the latest model). 

Some specifications I'm looking for is that it can be connected through wifi, is good for videos (since I'll be taking a video journalism class), has a movable LCD screen (doesn't need to be touch) and works well in low light. As for the lens something that's versatile and can be used for various things like car and portrait photography. 

The current lenses I own are the kit lenses, 18-55mm and the 75-300mm.

I'd be more than glad to hear y'alls recommendations since I've been looking around by myself but it is just all a little bit to overwhelming.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Asolo,

I'm beginning to believe you are a first year student.  

We've given you the best advice.  Sorry if you don't like the way your T5 looks...  "literally falling apart" were your words I believe.

You asked for our opinions, and we gave them.  Its in your best interest to go mirrorless taking into consideration the age of your gear, your chosen discipline and what it appears you want to pursue professionally.  

I'd stop floundering on the DSLR thing.  Keep saving if that's what its going to take. Borrow, hit up your grandparents, whatever you need to do.  A DSLR is a dead end, especially for someone who wants to make photography a career.  If you had significant investment in EF glass then I might understand, but you don't.

I know what the new camera itch feels like.  Don't give in until you are in a position to make a smart, carefully planned move.  One that makes the most financial sense given your situation. Last time I'm going to say this.  Buy once, buy right or you are going to buy twice.  Thats all I'm going to say.  Wishing you the best of luck in your endeavors.  👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44

rs-eos
Elite

You'll need to provide us a dollar amount for your budget.  Also, what lenses do you currently own?  And, would your budget only be for a new camera (body), or would that be for newer lenses as well?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

My budget is no more than $800 (which I know its not much I'm sure I can find stuff from 2nd hand retailers). I own a 18-55 mm lens and a 75-300mm lens which are the ones that come in the kit. 

That will be very limiting, especially if you also need new lenses.

My advice would be to stick with what you have until you can save up more.  During this time, focus upon what it is about your current equipment that you find lacking.  That will help guide you in what your next camera, lenses should be.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ASolo,

Do you have any strong feelings about whether you want to go mirrorless or DSLR?

If you want to stick with mirrored, one approach would be to upgrade to either a Canon SL3 or a Canon T8i (rbody only). Right now, Canon is offering both for the same price of $749.00.

That way, you can keep the lenses you have and save up for newer lenses. You can get a refurbished 55-250mm IS STM lens from a reputable dealer for around $200.00, or a 50mm f/1.8 prime for about $$150.00.

I don't have any mirrorless, so I can't give you any advice there.

Steve Thomas

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Well, given your limited budget and desire for a lens as well as a camera body upgrade, I my initial reaction was that you may have to stay with a DSLR. 

I am curious that you say you got a 70-200mm lens that you say came with the kit.  Can you confirm exactly what model that is please?

If you stick with a DSLR, to go for something with Wi-Fi and better video, and be able to use your existing lenses, I would suggest either the Canon EOS 80D or 90D.  They have fully articulated screens (which are touch control if you so choose), good sensors and are two steps above the level of your T5.

As to a lens... I suspect you should consider a replacement for the 18-55, which uses one of the less sophisticated versions of that lens on the T5.  For silent, fast focus I would recommend the 18-135 IS USM, which has great optics over the range and is specifically tweaked for video, being essentially silent.  You can get some good used gear from the Canon Refurbished site.  They are like new and come with a limited Canon warranty.

However... Having just had a look there myself, there is one of the new R-series bodies with a lens that might be an introduction into the current Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens (MILC) range that represent where all the development is going.
Here is a link to that camera: Shop Canon Refurbished EOS R10 RF-S18-45mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Kit |

This camera offers one of the best sensors - used on the prosumer R6MkII, and offers eye and face tracking and some advanced video features.  It also comes with an 18-45mm lens, that would work well for some video.  If you can afford to get the EF-RF adapter, you may be able to use the 70-200 lens that you say came with your T5 kit.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you so much for your suggestions. However if you don't mind me asking, I know we're all here canon users but what are the thoughts when comparing the CANON R10 vs Sony a6000?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Trevor,

Glad you mentioned the lens "70-200" he referred to as included in his kit.  I see he's edited and corrected to 75-300 which was part of the T5's offering at the time. A simple typo no doubt.  

@asolo,

Given your major, I agree with Ricky and Trevor's suggestions.  Saving a bit more and considering mirrorless might be prudent.  

From a DSLR standpoint, the T8i is the bare minimum I would recommend in the rebel series.  Its AF is vastly superior to the SL3.  While either would be a bump over the T5, you would quickly out grow either given your discipline.

You are also not heavily invested in glass.  The 75-300 will take pictures, but lacks in several important aspects as far as a good lens goes, so letting it go with the T5 is a given.  The 2 lenses and T5 can be gifted or donated.  It will treat someone like yourself who is just starting out well, the same as it did you.

With these factors in mind, the degree you are pursuing and the age of the gear, I really do feel you would be best served moving to mirrorless.  The performance is head and shoulders above what you'll get with any DSLR relatively speaking.  You already understand photography is an investment in more ways than one and you are not defined only by the gear you own.  I think you owe it to yourself, and I am sure you will appreciate what a modern body and lenses can help you to achieve.  I'm not saying DSLR's are bad, they are (still) 😃 great. 

I just believe that someone in your situation will appreciate and grow into the mirrorless ecosystem which is now a better investment in the long term.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

My suggestion is Refurbished EOS R10 Body form Canon directly for $700 bucks plus Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS R for $100 bucks at B&H.

Use your current lenses until funds become available to upgrade them to R series. RF is the future so you might as well join it now and not spend any more money on DSLR then necessary.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@ASolo wrote:

Thank you so much for your suggestions. However if you don't mind me asking, I know we're all here canon users but what are the thoughts when comparing the CANON R10 vs Sony a6000?

You can start with this:

Canon R10 vs Sony A6000 Detailed Comparison (cameradecision.com)

As a photography major, I'm sure this will all make sense.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements