cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have recently purchased a D5 Mk3 and find that AF does not work in Av and TV modes.

RonTanner_2016
Apprentice

Hi, Can you please advise me as to how I can get the D5 Mk3 to Auto Focus in AV and Tv modes when Shutter button half pressed?  I have tried re-setting the Custom Controls, without success. The AF-ON button works fine.

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Clear all custom functions. Sounds like shutter button has been configured to not activate autofocus.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I did try this function, without success. I am completly new this model and may be going about it wrongly. I will give it another go. Thanks

@RonTanner_2016 wrote:
I did try this function, without success. I am completly new this model and may be going about it wrongly. I will give it another go. Thanks

What is the camera's focus mode, One Shot or AI Servo?  If you're just starting out, stick with One Shot mode.  You may also might want to use the "P" shooting mode, until you become more familiar with the camera itself.

The 5D Mark III is a professional grade camera, with professinal features.  In short, it's complicated.  To best understand what the camera is doing, and how to use it, the user really needs a solid grounding in the fundamentals of photography.  Otherwise, what you will have is a very expensive point and shoot camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi, I did as you had suggested and it worked. Thanks for your help. I have used a 50D for a number of years and I find the 5D a lot more complicated. I will require a solid grounding in the camera functions. You have been of great help. Thanks once again.

@RonTanner_2016 wrote:
Hi, I did as you had suggested and it worked. Thanks for your help. I have used a 50D for a number of years and I find the 5D a lot more complicated. I will require a solid grounding in the camera functions. You have been of great help. Thanks once again.

The 5D is indeed more complicated than the 50D. (I too have both, along with a couple of 7D's.) But Canon does a pretty good job of keeping the controls fairly consistent across their product line, which helps to shorten the learning curve. And depending on the types of photography you do, there are features of the 5D that you'll probably never use. If you don't do sports photography, you may never explore the more esoteric AF options; if you don't shoot indoor events, you may not fully exploit the camera's low-light capability; etc. But it's nice to know those features are there for whatever unusual situations may arise.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements