cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an older Rebel xt. Just got a new computer and the software will not work,

philanddit
Contributor

Mesaage states that the display is not good enough. Resolution is more than enough. I can't even download pictures from the camera. Website no help.

18 REPLIES 18

hsbn
Whiz
Old software normally doesn't work with newer OS. Go to Canon website and download new software. What OS are you using?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Thanks for the reply. I just can't find any new software on the site to download Digital photo professional. When I try I just keep getting a message to insert my cd. No help there. lol I have version 2.0 on the disk. I assume there is newer doftware somewhere to download but I sure can't find it. Thanks again.

Software updates are here:  

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/digita...

Note that these are "updates" and not full versions.  You'll need to install the base software (even if it wont run... just install it) and then the downloaded update will bring it up to the current version.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks but I tried evrything there woith no different results. I still get an immediate conon message of "this program requires a display capable of 1024 X 786" etc and mine is 1920 X 1080. full color. Hmmm..........

Given the age of your camera, you may have to contact Canon to see if you can get a more current copy of the EOS Solutions disk (or perhaps a download link to it.).  They offer a downloadable copy for Mac users because most new Macs no longer include an optical drive.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Canon did post the EOS Solution Disk online for people to download. It's in Canon Australia Site:

EOS Digital Solution Disk Software 28.2A for Windows (For users who cannot use the bundled CD)

Last Updated : 31-Oct-2013
Issue Number : 0200302402
OS

Windows 8.1
Windows 8.1 (x64)
Windows 8
Windows 8 (x64)
Windows 7
Windows 7 (x64)
Windows Vista
Windows Vista (x64)
Windows XP

Outline

"EOS Digital Solution Disk Software" is a software suite containing the applications "Digital Photo Professional", "EOS Utility" and "Picture Style Editor", dedicated for users who cannot use the bundled CD to install the suite to the PC.

Digital Photo Professional: This software is recommended for users who mainly shoot RAW images. You can quickly view, edit, process and print RAW images. You can also edit JPEG images while retaining the original images.
EOS Utility: With the camera connected to a computer, EOS Utility enables you to transfer still photos and movies shot with the camera to the computer. You can also use this software to set various camera settings and shoot remotely with the computer connected to the camera.
Picture Style Editor: You can edit Picture Styles and create and save original Picture Style files.

This package contains the following version applications:
Digital Photo Professional 3.13.20
EOS Utility 2.13.20
Picture Style Editor 1.13.20"

LINK: http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0200302402.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Thank you very mush. As it turns out anon does not make software compatable for my Rebel xt with windows 7. Thanks again.

"As it turns out Canon does not make software compatable for my Rebel xt with windows 7"

That seems odd... I'm using Win 7 and can view and work with images from my Canon 10D, which is older than your XT.

But I really don't use Canon software very much. You might just want to get a copy of Adobe Elements.... it should work well with the camera and recent version(s) will surely be fully functional with the latest Win OSes. Elements might give you some features you don't enjoy now, too. Lightroom is a step up from Elements in certain respects (high volume work, organizing and cataloging, in particular) and Photoshop is a step up in others (image editing, especially).

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Thanks! I will look at it. 🙂

Announcements