cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a Canon EOS 20D I just dug out of the closet, and want to update it and get additional lenses

LoveWeims
Enthusiast

1.  Where will I find updated software if there IS any?  The camera is incredible...when I recharged the battery, it KNEW the right date and the right time!!!

Now for the lens questions:

2.  What is the difference between EF-S lenses and EF lenses?  I understand that the mounts are the same, and my camera currently has an EF-S lens on it.

3.  If a lens is an EF and doesn't specifically state "AUTOFOCUS",  which I intend to use since I do dog agility sports and wildlife photograph.  I am looking at the EF 75-300mm f4-f5.6 .OR the EF-S 18-200mm f3.5 Autofocus APS-C (though I frankly have no idea what APS-C means).

4.  I also own a new Canon EOS R7 with a kit lens, a 100mm macro (L), and a 100-400mm telephoto.  

I TRIED googling for answers but all I get a various "best of" stuff which look like Amazon is the only source of any lens, refurbished or otherwise (grin).  Sorry to dump so many questions into this but I am excited that my husband and I can BOTH have Canons we use when we travel so looking for complementary equipment.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

1. The last firmware version was. 2.0.2, however the Canon EOS 20D is 20 years old and is well out of its support life - there will be no service support if it has a problem, and Canon sites no longer offer the firmware updates for it.   

To be honest, I would not waste your money updating lenses for that camera.  If you have an R7, then invest in RF or RF-S lenses (RF is for full frame and will work on the R7 APS-C camera body, RF-S will work only on APS-C bodies).  Because you cannot use RF or RF-S lenses on DSLRs like the 20D, if you want to be able to share, then get a R-series body.

FWIW:  Canon EF vs EF-S Lenses - Differences Explained - Photography Pursuits. The same principle applies to RF glass: i.e. RF lenses are designed for Full-frame cameras, while RF-S lenses are designed for APS-C cameras, like your R7.  FF bodies will not work well with RF-S lenses, even though they will physically connect.

Since you have an R7 and you want to have compatibility, you could get either a FF R body like one of the R6 versions, or an R8 (which is also good), and use the RF and EF lenses with that - those bodies have the better focus and tracking compared to the R7.  Alternatively, consider another R7, or an R10 which will work with all the lenses you have but will not have IBIS or such a big battery.

You can look for bargains for cameras on the Canon Refurb site: these may be new but over-stock, opened but not used, demo or display units - good as new with a Canon warranty.  For a general walk-around lens, for a Full-frame the RF 24-240 lens is brilliant (I have one) see: Shop Canon Refurbished RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM | Canon U.S.A., Inc. and
for the APS-C platform the RF-S 18-150 is a good walk-around unit.   If you want another telephoto lens, then consider the RF 100-400 which is good and fairly cheap Shop Canon Refurbished RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM | Canon U.S.A., Inc.
If you want to splurge, the RF 100-500L is a deadly lens but not cheap - Shop Canon Refurbished RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM | Canon U.S.A., I.

If, despite all this, you want a lens for the 20D, don't get the 75-300 - they are arguably Canon's worst optic.  Instead get the  Shop Canon Refurbished EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM | Canon U.S.A.: it will work with your R body via a Canon EF-RF adapter, so can still be shared and is a great optic.  That said, my advice as to the futility of investing in a body that is not compatible with your R7 still stands.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

1. The last firmware version was. 2.0.2, however the Canon EOS 20D is 20 years old and is well out of its support life - there will be no service support if it has a problem, and Canon sites no longer offer the firmware updates for it.   

To be honest, I would not waste your money updating lenses for that camera.  If you have an R7, then invest in RF or RF-S lenses (RF is for full frame and will work on the R7 APS-C camera body, RF-S will work only on APS-C bodies).  Because you cannot use RF or RF-S lenses on DSLRs like the 20D, if you want to be able to share, then get a R-series body.

FWIW:  Canon EF vs EF-S Lenses - Differences Explained - Photography Pursuits. The same principle applies to RF glass: i.e. RF lenses are designed for Full-frame cameras, while RF-S lenses are designed for APS-C cameras, like your R7.  FF bodies will not work well with RF-S lenses, even though they will physically connect.

Since you have an R7 and you want to have compatibility, you could get either a FF R body like one of the R6 versions, or an R8 (which is also good), and use the RF and EF lenses with that - those bodies have the better focus and tracking compared to the R7.  Alternatively, consider another R7, or an R10 which will work with all the lenses you have but will not have IBIS or such a big battery.

You can look for bargains for cameras on the Canon Refurb site: these may be new but over-stock, opened but not used, demo or display units - good as new with a Canon warranty.  For a general walk-around lens, for a Full-frame the RF 24-240 lens is brilliant (I have one) see: Shop Canon Refurbished RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM | Canon U.S.A., Inc. and
for the APS-C platform the RF-S 18-150 is a good walk-around unit.   If you want another telephoto lens, then consider the RF 100-400 which is good and fairly cheap Shop Canon Refurbished RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM | Canon U.S.A., Inc.
If you want to splurge, the RF 100-500L is a deadly lens but not cheap - Shop Canon Refurbished RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM | Canon U.S.A., I.

If, despite all this, you want a lens for the 20D, don't get the 75-300 - they are arguably Canon's worst optic.  Instead get the  Shop Canon Refurbished EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM | Canon U.S.A.: it will work with your R body via a Canon EF-RF adapter, so can still be shared and is a great optic.  That said, my advice as to the futility of investing in a body that is not compatible with your R7 still stands.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you!  I will heed your advice and just use my 20D as is…sentimental value if nothing else.  I own the 18-150mm and the 100-400mm as well as the 100 mm macro (L) for my EOS R7.  I am very comfortable with the 18-150mm and learning (the hard way) how to use the other two.  Will hold off on getting any other lenses til my skills improve and my subject preferences solidify.  I like bugs, birds and dog agility…so i think i am on the right track.  Will def look at the RF24-240mm as the i found the 200mm range was what i chose for my best shots with the 100-400mm and i assume that is a good indicator 

Peter
Authority
Authority

Latest firmware for 20D

1000008519.jpg

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

My colleagues have already replied and been extremely helpful.  Trevor's comments are wise.  Take heed. The 20D is a dead end on many levels. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Agree.  Very grateful for this Community

normadel
Authority
Authority

3. ALL EF and EF-S lenses are autofocus. 

Announcements