cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am using a 5D Mark II and I am getting a series of three curved lines on the photos that are under

JSewell
Contributor

I am using a 5D Mark II and I am getting a series of three curved lines on the photos that are under exposed only.  Can anyone help me figure out why it is doing this?

Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 12.15.41 PM 2.jpg

16 REPLIES 16

"... but I would probably be looking at the optics ..."

As would I.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the response. I do manually clean my sensors and have never noticed anything visible. I shoot with two cameras (same bodies) and only one body is doing this. I have not noticed it an any indoor photos, even the underexposed ones. I am not using filters and I always use hoods.

Ditch the filters and all will be right.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I am not using any filters.

@JSewell wrote:
I am not using any filters.

We're confused because earlier you said:

1. I am almost always using a filter (in these examples I know was)

2.  I never use filters attached to my lenses.

In any case, are you fairly certain you've never exposed the camera to a strong magnetic field? Magnetic fields can have peculiar effects on electronic equipment.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

So sorry I typed that too fast.  I meant to say :

1. I almost always use lens hoods

2. I never use filters.

I can't think if a time being exposed to a magnetic feild, but these cameras have been through a lot.  Can you think of a real world example of a magnetic feild? 

Also I guess the big question is would Canon would be able to repair something like this..?

An example of where you might find a strong magnetic field could be an industrial setting where exposed electric motors are in operation. A medical area, in proximity to a MRI machine. (You would never be allowed close enough with your camera. BIG magnets!) Your kids have super magnet toys... Sound systems (speakers) sometimes have really big magnets.

It looks as though the damage has caused an incorrect response by the sensors in these zones. The "zones" are overly sensitive to light which is in evidence by their lighter shade than the surrounding areas.

So, the question is, what would cause a series of zones to be damaged in this way? I believe I mentioned before that strong reflections might generate enough energy to damage a camera sensor. Of course this is pure conjecture and you are probably going to send in your camera for service, barring any big developments. Here's a note about laser damage, http://www.laserist.org/camera-sensor-damage.htm

Announcements