cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am having issues when I shoot raw + jpeg. Raw files seem corrupt!!

secondlevel
Enthusiast

I am having issues when I shoot raw + jpeg.  It seems the raw files get corrupted.  I have shot raw without an issue.  It is only when I shoot raw + jpeg.  The raw files will not show in Photoshop elements.  I installed the Canon software and was able to see all the raw files; however, I noticed that when I tried to view some full screen they would not show.  I also noticed that these raw files look block-ish.  They appear more digital looking.   Is there a specail card needed to shoot raw + jpeg?  I formatted the ones that I have prior to using them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

secondlevel
Enthusiast

Thank you all for looking at my post.  I shoot with a 60D using Photoshop Elements 10.  I finally called Canon tech support and found out that it was the card reader that was causing the problems.  When I used another card reader I was able to transfer both Jpeg and raw files.  They advised me to connnect the camara to the computer to transfer files.  I was taught to use a card reader and have for years.  This was the first time it has caused me any issues.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

beammeupscotty
Apprentice
Hi, download Faststone Image viewer, that seems to open anything, if you see all that you should then I'd be more inclined to go with a software glitch seeing as you've not had problems with Raw before.

Scott.

cicopo
Elite

You need to let us know the camera model & version of Elements. You may not have the correct version of Adobe Camera RAW for your camera & depending on the version of Elements you may not be able to update to that plug in. Every time a new camera is released new updates are needed but Adobe doesn't make them for what they consider outdated software.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have shot raw without an issue."

If I understand you, you don't have any problems when only RAW is selected? Your issues only occur when you select RAW+jpeg? Is your setting sRAW+L?

It would be nice to know your equipment and version numbers.                                               

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

secondlevel
Enthusiast

Thank you all for looking at my post.  I shoot with a 60D using Photoshop Elements 10.  I finally called Canon tech support and found out that it was the card reader that was causing the problems.  When I used another card reader I was able to transfer both Jpeg and raw files.  They advised me to connnect the camara to the computer to transfer files.  I was taught to use a card reader and have for years.  This was the first time it has caused me any issues.

@secondlevel wrote:

They advised me to connnect the camara to the computer to transfer files.  I was taught to use a card reader and have for years.  This was the first time it has caused me any issues.

I guess I haven't tried this on my 6D, but transferring from the camera was painfully slow with my old Rebel. I have always used a card reader (an external on my last laptop that didn't have a USB 2.0 card reader, but now I just use the reader on my laptop).  I've never had an issue, it does't require a cable, and all I have to do is put the card in and Lightroom takes it from there.  I just leave a card in my laptop, when I want to download a new card I swap them, that way I never forget to put the card back in my camera.

Or just get another card reader.   I have had card readers fail in the past.  Currently I'm using a reader made by Lexar that's been a good workhorse.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I bought another card reader and my HP Laptop has a built in card reader.  My concern is that the Canon tech said that I should use the cable.  I haven't used a cable since 2009.  On my Sony DSLR I have noticed thought that the cards don't slide out as well as they use to.  That is making me think I should listen to the Canon tech.  I even put the cable in my camera bag.

While it could certainly be a card-reader problem, data corruption of any kind can be any of the following:

1) the card

2) the cable (if used)

3) the card reader (if used)

4) the computer RAM,

5) thecomputer hard drive (or SSD)

A failure of any one of the above will result in corrupted images when viewed.  Since it seems to be RAW file related, as they are signifantly larger than JPGs, it's likely anything but the card reader or cable. 

The only way to 'beat it' is eliminate each of the possibilities, starting with the easiest/cheapest fix. 

1) Use the cable.  If that solves the problem, replace the card reader.

2) Use a different card.  If that solves it, toss the old card.

3) If multiple sticks of internal computer RAM, swap them.  If that fixes it, or, the problem 'moves' to other images, replace the RAM.  It could be only 1 of 2 sticks bad, though, so use only 1 of the old sticks for a while to see if the problem recurs.

4) If you have multiple hard drives in your computer, or an external one, use that to store the photos for a while.  If the problems go away, it's the drive.  Note that hard drive failures typically start slowly and increase gradually.  On occassion, though, your computer won't boot and it's all over.  If you are down to thinking it's the hard drive, it's time to get a good backup...NOW! 

For what it's worth, I had a similar problem with corrupted photos.  Both RAW and JPGs were affected.  But as the problems were after having loaded and initially viewed them on my HD, I knew it was a computer problem.  It dogged me for a couple of weeks.  I even played swap the memory sticks, pull one out and run on one only, swap the one for the other (running on one), and it STILL kept happening.  I finally gave up and replaced both sticks of RAM.  That solved the problem.  So much for lifetime warranty from Hong Kong.  A very well regarded brand of RAM, no less.  My SSD drive was the next one on the list, it the new RAM didn't solve it.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements