cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make R5 exposure simulation and metering ignore flash?

metelbis1
Apprentice

Hey,

Somewhat new to flashes. I have an R5 and a Godox V1. What I'm finding, it it seems the camera's exposure metering is trying to predict the flash? And just overall makes using it super confusing.

What I want to achieve, is I want the live view on the back to show what the picture would look like if the flash didn't fire, so I can balance for ambient light, and then the TTL of the flash can meter on its own to fill in the rest.

Better yet, if I can leave auto ISO on the camera to auto balance to ambient, say a stop under, then the godox can exposure to whatever I think looks good with exposure comp on the flash.

How can I do this, so it's not putting that lighting flash symbol on the screen and going wild with the exposure, and then taking a picture and theres no ambient light, etc.

1 REPLY 1

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

The camera cannot predict how flash will impact the picture. Therefore Exposure Simulation is DISABLED. When a Canon speedlite is used. A 3rd Party speedlite may require you to manually turn off Exposure Simulation. You can set the camera up so it shows the ambient lighting in the EVF. Also flash metering happens in the camera body not the speedlite. All the speedlite does is follow commands that the camera sends it.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI, 550EX (Brought out of Retirement) & 600EX II-RT

Announcements