cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get pictures off of an EOS Digital Rebel XT

har-leigh
Apprentice

I need help with figuring out how to get my pictures from the Canon Rebel XT onto my laptop. Ive tried almost everything and i downloaded the canon app and my camera is so old that it doesnt pop up. Please help...Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Just get a CF card reader.

Otherwise, jut plug it into the computer and select "PTP Communications"* from the menu.

Mac or PC?

*Which is contrary to what the manual says.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Absolutely agree with my colleague @KVBarkley.   The simplest, fastest and most reliable method to get files off your camera is to use an appropriate internal or USB-connected card reader.  Please note that you need a CF card reader, not a CF Express one - they sound similar but are totally different units.  

The procedure, once you have said card reader is:
Connect the card reader to your computer
Shut down the camera
Remove the card and carefully insert it into the reader - these cards have to connect with pins in the reader, so be careful lining them up as forcing it in can bend or break the pins, disabling the reader.
Once attached, your computer file manager should see the card as a removable drive. 
You can then open the folder DCIM and copy the contents to wherever you want on your own hard drive system
Once completed, check the files are there
Eject (Windows command) the card from the computer
Reinstall it into the camera
Turn the camera on
Format the card clean, using the camera's format command. 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
click here to view the gallery
Announcements