cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Stream Longer than 30 minutes with Canon M50 with autofocus, NO capture card!!

walstonbball
Contributor

Read a lot of forums and watched a lot of videos and I think I figured it out! 

I open EOS Utility, plug my M50 into my iMac with a micro USB (one made for data transfer, such as a phone cable), then open live view mode and move it into a different window by itself. 

Next, I open OBS and add a window capture and select the live view window. I crop it and I am good to go! 

Note: You have to make sure the M50 screen is out and flipped into selfie mode, this is what keeps the camera from freezing after 30 minutes. 

Now you have a streaming camera with continuous autofocus for longer than 30 minutes, oh and without a capture card! 

I hope this is able to help someone that ran into the same issues as me! 

38 REPLIES 38

@Waddizzle
You are confusing "operating temperature" (environment / ambient temperature) with "internal temperature". 55C is the internal temperature.

@Peter
ML may not show a correct temperature: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9673.0 - the OP saw "80C" but it was recorded as 60C in EXIF.

@docusync wrote:

I think there is no "Danger" sign btw. It's a warning and then a shutdown, at least on the Sony cameras.

You think?  I see.  You are citing belief systems,which have no basis in actual facts.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle is it bad to think anything in your opinion? Better just pretend that you know it, like you do?

I "think" because I've seen this on a Sony camera once, and never on a Canon. On the Sony it's a warning and then a shutdown. Makes sense?

@docusync wrote:

@Waddizzle is it bad to think anything in your opinion? Better just pretend that you know it, like you do?

I "think" because I've seen this on a Sony camera once, and never on a Canon. On the Sony it's a warning and then a shutdown. Makes sense?

There is a warning and if you continue past that the camera will turn off Live view/video. From Canon and about 5D III:

Q4. Can my camera be damaged if I continue shooting while the high internal temperature warning indicator is displayed?

A4. No, the camera will not be damaged.

@Peter, thank you, this is really good to know!

I shoot with a Ninja V on the EOS R, and maybe because the encoding is done on an external device I really never saw any kind of warning. The longest video I've shot was about 1.5 hours.

If a professional burns up a camera they just grab another off the shelf.

Look, if you want to shorten the life of your camera, go ahead. Just don't complain about Canon quality when it happens.

Peter
Authority
Authority
40 minutes of raw video. Reformatted the card four times. Reached 58 degrees Celsius. Seems hard to reach the internal heat warning indicator if the ambient temperature is around 24 degrees Celsius.

@Peter wrote:
40 minutes of raw video. Reformatted the card four times. Reached 58 degrees Celsius. Seems hard to reach the internal heat warning indicator if the ambient temperature is around 24 degrees Celsius.

I suggest you combine forces with several other posters and establish your own laboratory, as the hardware limits of photographic gear is your primary interest. You can conduct various stress tests and other arcane measurements on camera bodies so that people whose interest in photography is mostly limited to the range of stress on comonents, chips, screens and buttons have a source of reliable info. There are engineering enthusiasts whose photographic interests don't include photography beyond the hardware side of things. For example, many people seem only interested in the number of times the shutter button has been pressed or how much heat a chip can take before failing. That's where you fit in. Best of luck. 

@John_SD wrote:

@Peter wrote:

I suggest you combine forces with several other posters and establish your own laboratory, as the hardware limits of photographic gear is your primary interest. You can conduct various stress tests and other arcane measurements on camera bodies so that people whose interest in photography is mostly limited to the range of stress on comonents, chips, screens and buttons have a source of reliable info. There are engineering enthusiasts whose photographic interests don't include photography beyond the hardware side of things. For example, many people seem only interested in the number of times the shutter button has been pressed or how much heat a chip can take before failing. That's where you fit in. Best of luck. 

You could just have sent me a PM instead Smiley LOL

Have a nice life.

Announcements