cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Put EOS R6 Into MF Mode With the RF24-105mm f/4-7.1 STM Lens

chrisgr99
Apprentice

I just bought an EOS R6 that inluded the RF24-105mm f/4-7.1 STM lens.  I want to try manual focus mode. 

The lens instructions say to set the focus mode to MF "using the camera's (AF/MF) menu". 

But when I look in the EOS R6 camera manual it says to "use the AF/MF switch on the lens". 

But there is no AF/MF switch on the RF24-105mm STM lens. 

The only switch related to focus on the lens is labeled Focus/Control.

So how can the RF24-105mm f/4-7.1 STM lens be used in manual focus mode? 

4 REPLIES 4

Just guessing here because there isn't a lot of info specific to the R6 and this lens, and I don't have the lens.

Try enabling AF menu item 5, "Electronic full-time MF".

*EDIT* You have to half depress the shutter button for the manual focus ring to work, at least that is the way the R6 works with our EF lenses that have manual focus overide. Also, I'm guessing you will set the switch on the lens to "Focus", which will tell the camera that the ring is for focus and not a control ring.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Here is the answer:

In the camera AF2 menu set Focus Mode to "AF".  Also set the switch on the lens to "Focus".

I guess I should have found this but it was not mentioned in the user manual, and the option may not have been available until I updated the firmware from 1.0 to 1.4.

@chrisgr99 wrote:

Here is the answer:

In the camera AF2 menu set Focus Mode to "AF".  Also set the switch on the lens to "Focus".

I guess I should have found this but it was not mentioned in the user manual, and the option may not have been available until I updated the firmware from 1.0 to 1.4.

I don't see that option in AF2. I am using FIR 1.4. Maybe you have to have that lens for the option to be there?

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

It turns out that AF menus 3 through 5 disappear if the mode dial is set to A+.  Set the dial to "P" and AF menus 3 through 5 become available.  The "Electronic full time MF" option is in the AF5 menu.  (Sorry, I was wrong in my previous post about it being in the AF2 menu.)

Here is further discussion about it in another forum: What is the "Electronic full-time MF" feature from the new firmware?: Canon EOS R Talk Forum: Digita...

Announcements