cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you White Balance an EOS 90D?

Pking
Contributor

Hello all. I realize how stupid I sound. But I just purchased my Canon EOS 90D, and if anyone could write the basic instructions on how to white balance it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Note: for the last 20 years I've been shooting with a Canon GL1 MiniDV camera. I felt the time finally came for me to update my camera. So, expect some surprisingly ignorant posts from me in the next few weeks. Thank you, and Happy Holidays! 

16 REPLIES 16

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

As well as all the Canon supplied software for the camera.

I am ignorant as to what that means. Can you please explain? Thank you.

This is the Canon Product Support Home Page.  There is a link to it on the Canon Community home page.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/ 

Start typing the model of your camera into the white box "EOS 90D".  At some point a drop down list with "EOS 90D" camera packages should appear.  Select one, and the system should automatically take you to the Product Support Page for the EOS 90D.  Every Canon consumer product has a simlar web page.

You can get product details and descriptions, user manuals, software packages, wireless help, and more.  Click on "Manuals" and look for the "Advanced User Guide".  It is a PDF file, so you would need a PDF app to read it.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Oh, yeah, you will want to download the "Supplemental Information" manual, too.  Eventually, you should find reason to use the most recent copies of the other manuals, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Ray-uk wrote:

If you go to the Canon website you can download the full manual in pdf format.

Okay. I'll look for that now. But if you can easily provide a link, that'd be great.

Johnw1
Enthusiast

White Balance Settings.JPG

Info display WB.JPG

This and a lot more is in the 90D manual.

Johnw1, ok. So my with old camera (the MiniDV Canon GL1) all my white balancing had to be done manually. But it looks like with the EOS 90D, I can usually get away with using automatic white balancing. Eventually I will have to learn manual white balance. But for the beginning I should be able to get away with only doing automatic white balance... Does that sound right?

You can download the manual from Canon. 

If you don't know what the white balance is auto WB is good. If you do and most know when you are shooting in daylight then use WB for daylight. If you shoot RAW WB is not as important. 

Announcements