cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I post dates on my photos.

LydiaDavenport
Contributor

How do I set my Rebel T3 so that it will save dates on my photos?

11 REPLIES 11

cicopo
Elite

The camera can't do it. You can however add that to the photo with many of the popular editing programs.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Stinks!

The date is stored automatically in the EXIF data with your photo.

If you are on a Windows machine, use Windows Photo Viewer, right click on the photo. Click on the Properties tab and finally click Details.

There is your date!  Maybe not printed on the photo but it is printed in the photo.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

That's right.... the date, time and a great deal more info about the photo are stored right in the image file.

Maybe there are softwares that can pick up the date from the EXIF data embedded in each photo and add it to the edge of an image as a watermark.

You could write an Action in Photoshop to do this, I know for certain. However it would need to be done image by image, not as a batch.

Adobe Lightroom can add a watermark in batches, will even scale it up or down to match different size images, but AFAIK it cannot retrieve EXIF data to do this.

Look into things like FastStone Photo Resizer, which has an automatic watermark option (among many other things) and deals with images rapidly in batches. I dunno if FastStone can do this, but similar softwares out there might be able to.

If you only wanted the date on the image, you could simply add it as part of your process when downloading images from your camera and storing them on your computer. You'd have to type in the date, then save it, and have that used as the watermark. Lightroom could do this. FastStone might be able to, too (last time I looked, FastStone watermarks had to be created in another software).

I'm guessing essentially you want to do a "Time/Date Stamp", the way film cameras used to do. Search online for softwares that can do that.  In this day and age, you'd think someone would have written a software to do it.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Irfanview can do this in batch. The software is lite and free.

I have not seen any DSLR can do this in camera.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

If it's just the date Picasa can be used to do it too (as a batch) by adding the info using the watermark option. If it date & time it's going to be a one at a time thing. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

LydiaDavenport
Contributor

My Cannon digital Power Shot SD780 IS ... WILL date my photos and I am disappointed that this Rebel will not!

Lydia, this is because Powershot cameras are often used for "snapshots" -- where the point of the image is not to create a photographic work of art, but more to capture a memory -- and printing the date directly on the image can be desirable.

When you move up to a DSLR, the image quality goes up -- photographers demand more from their cameras with respect to image quality and you begin to think of the image as art. Printing the date on it is, in effect, a kind of graffiti which defaces it.

The camera DOES imbed the date info in the photo (it just doesn't print it ON the photo.) It's a fairly simple matter to apply the date after the fact using your computer.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

It would be nice if you had the option.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements