cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I copy an image file *TO* the EOS 70D?

AlKoch
Contributor

I need to copy an image file back to the EOS 70D.

1) I can pull the MicroSD card from the 70D, insert it into my Windows 7 PC and copy the image to the SD card.  I place the image file in the DCIM/100Canon folder which is where I see another image of a picture I took.  However, once I insert the card back in the 70D I cannot see it in the Image Preview.  (If I put the card back in the PC it is there - it just isn't recognized by the 70D!)

2) I have also tried connecting the 70D to my PC with a USB cable.  When I turn the 70D on Windows runs an application that, among other things, allows me to Browse to the DCIM/100Canon folder .  Again, in that folder I see a picture I took.  Now when I try to copy the image file to that folder Windows tells me that I "do not have permission" to create this item.

3)  I normally use the WiFi feature and the EOS Utility application to move picture files into my ***PC*** but I see no way to use that app to move an image back into the ***camera***.

I know this can be done because I figured out how to do this shortly after I got the camera but I lost my notes and I cannot figure out how I did this the 1st time!

Can someone tell me how to do this?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Does this thread help?

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/Copy-jpeg-file-to-CF-card-to-be-read-by-7D/m-p/28981/highlight...

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Wadizzle,

Thank you for replying.  I had forgotten that ImageBrowser Ex had been installed when I set up the camera a couple of years ago.  After working with it I see that the problem actually is that I have a jpg that is apparently "incompatible" with the 70D.  When I select this image for Transfer to the Memory Card ImageBrowser Ex tells me that "A still image that cannot be displayed on the camera has been selected."

I created the image in Photoshop.  Actually, it is an image that I originally took with the 70D, transferred to the PC and edited.  Now I want to return it to the 70D.  I have tried every way I know to "save/export" the image out of Photoshop to a file and the file is always falled as "cannot be displayed on the camera".  Do you have any idea what is going on here?  I have spent a good eight hours experimenting with every setting I can find and nothing works.

Please help if you can.

Thank you.

I can only speculate, and tell you what i would check.  I'd ask myself how would the software know that an image cannot be displayed on the 70D? What is it about the image file that the software sees as incompatible?

The answer that I keep coming with is that your image has a different aspect ratio and/or pixel resolution than what is native to the 70D.  Or, you image has something, or is missing something, in its' EXIF data that 70D applies to every image file.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Wadizzle,

Thanks again for replying.  I have been thinking along the same lines you suggested but I can't see what the problem is.  I can take a picture file that I uploaded from the 70D and turn around and put it back on the memory card using ImageBrowser Ex and it can be seen on the camera.  However, if I simply open that same file in Photoshop and instantly Save As to a new file and try to transfer that new file to the memory card I get the error message.  So the default "Save" out of Photoshop is changing something.

I will post a new incident on the forum that has this as the topic in the hope someone can explain!

Thank you.

@AlKoch wrote:

Hi Wadizzle,

Thanks again for replying.  I have been thinking along the same lines you suggested but I can't see what the problem is.  I can take a picture file that I uploaded from the 70D and turn around and put it back on the memory card using ImageBrowser Ex and it can be seen on the camera.  However, if I simply open that same file in Photoshop and instantly Save As to a new file and try to transfer that new file to the memory card I get the error message.  So the default "Save" out of Photoshop is changing something.

I will post a new incident on the forum that has this as the topic in the hope someone can explain!

Thank you.

The one obvious thing that changes when you use "Save As" is the file name. Maybe the camera is objecting to a mismatch with the file naming convention in use. What happens if you save the file back with its original name? Or save it in a different folder on the card?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements