cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How continuous burst mode WITH REMOTE with the Cannon Rebel T1i???

GreenTea13
Contributor

Can't figure out how to take  continuous photos WITH remote, all the information that I find either tells me how to do it without the remote or just tells me how to take a single photo at the time with the remote.

If it turns out that I really can't do this with my camera, WHY CANON? Honestly I don't see why the T1i can't have this option, there really isn't any reason. I hit the remote button and it should be able to trigger whatever options I have selected, including  continuous shots while I press the button.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

I am not sure why, but it seems there must be some limitation to Continuous shooting when using the Infra Red remote.  The same limitation appllies to higher end cameras like the 5D Mk III or 7D Mk II. 

If you use a wired remote control like the Canon RS-60E, then you will be able to shoot continuous. 

RS-60E.jpg

If you really need wireless, there are also some inexpensive 3rd party wireless remotes than can plug into the wired remote plug on the side of the camera. 

RS-60E wireless4.jpg

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Specifically... which remote?

Is this a "wired" or "wireless" remote and which model?

This should not work if you are using a wireless (IR) remote. 

It should work if you are using a wired remote such as the RS-60E3.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"If it turns out that I really can't do this with my camera..."

Yeah, you really need to find out if it is even possible with the Rebel T1i.  I don't have one any more so I can't try it for you, Sorry.  The T1i is getting along in years and it may not be a feature it had.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, when I did have Rebels like the T1i, I don't remember ever doing it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

I am not sure why, but it seems there must be some limitation to Continuous shooting when using the Infra Red remote.  The same limitation appllies to higher end cameras like the 5D Mk III or 7D Mk II. 

If you use a wired remote control like the Canon RS-60E, then you will be able to shoot continuous. 

RS-60E.jpg

If you really need wireless, there are also some inexpensive 3rd party wireless remotes than can plug into the wired remote plug on the side of the camera. 

RS-60E wireless4.jpg

Mike Sowsun

BTW, the reason this works with a "wired" remote is because of the simplicity of that jack that resembles a mini-stereo jack.

The on-camera shutter button has three positions... (1) not pressed, (2) half-pressed, and (3) fully-pressed.

The remote has the SAME 3 positions.  One wire is the ground.  One wire indicates the shutter is half-pressed.  One wire indicates the button is fully-pressed.  So there is literally no difference in what you can do with the on-camera shutter release vs. the remote shutter release.

An IR remote typically doesn't have those options... the button is pressed or it's not.  It emits a pulse of light.  Generally it can trigger a single-shot only and has no options.  On some models and modes an initial press can "start" an exposure and a second press can "stop" an exposure (and this only works in some modes.)  But there's no way to to deal with continuously holding the shutter button.  You can't do a half-press for focus, etc.  

In "One Shot" drive mode, the camera uses "focus priority" behavior which means the camera can't take a shot until the auto-focus system has been able to confirm focus on at least one active AF point.  In "AI Servo" mode, the camera uses "release priority" behavior in which the camera takes the shot when you fully-press the shutter button and it will do so whether or not the camera had time to focus.  A sports/action photgrapher knows to half-press the button while tracking the action (so it's continuously maintaining focus) and then fully-press the button when they're ready to take that burst of shots.  You really cannot do this with an IR remote.

Mike posted a 3rd party release that gives you the functionality of the wired (3-position shutter button) behavior... but with the advantage of being wireless if you are farther from the camera than the limited distance of a typical wired remote.  The real point of the "wired" remote is to ensure that you can take a shot with a tripod-mounted camera without worrying that touching the camera to trigger the shutter will create vibrations that ruin the image.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I used to have the wired version with the remote, (similair to the second device photo in MikeSowsun's post, only it worked with my phone via blue tooth) but the tip broke off into my camera and it was a major hassel to remove it, so I've been a little put off by that type of remote device. But if it's the only way to do what I want I guess I'll look into getting another one.

@MikeSowsunwrote:

I am not sure why, but it seems there must be some limitation to Continuous shooting when using the Infra Red remote.  The same limitation appllies to higher end cameras like the 5D Mk III or 7D Mk II.  ...

It may be because it's too easy to fool the IR sensor, which might then go berserk and reel off dozens of shots. Various cameras, including (I just checked) the 7D and the 5D3, place the IR sensor so that it will be covered by your right middle finger when the camera is being used hand-held. I doubt that that was accidental.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you are using a wired remote, then you should be able to get continuous shooting, provided the camera is properly set.

If you are using a wireless remote, which can control the camera in bulb mode, then you may be able to fool it into continuous shooting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements