cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hope DPP3.X can support New 1DX2, DPP4 is not good :-(

WoSoLoo
Contributor

DPP3 is much more easy to use, DPP4 too many option and slow Smiley Mad

13 REPLIES 13

kvbarkley
VIP

Sorry, it won't. I am pretty sure that Canon is not going to support older cameras on DPP3 - though I have no inside knowledge.

so bad, do they know DPP4 problem?

Don't know, you are certainly free to call and tell them. But many people use DPP4 just fine.

Waddizzle
Legend

DPP4 is a decent application for use with consumer cameras.  I think a professional grade camera, like the 1DX2, is worthy of better, and more sophisticated software, like Adobe Lightroom.  Don't you?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I kinda figure it is just early in the development cycle.


@Waddizzle wrote:

DPP4 is a decent application for use with consumer cameras.  I think a professional grade camera, like the 1DX2, is worthy of better, and more sophisticated software, like Adobe Lightroom.  Don't you?


In a word, no. It all depends on what you're requirements are. If all you're doing is cropping, rotating, applying lens corrections, and adjusting brightness, contrast, white balance, tone, etc., then DPP 4 is perfectly satisfactory and arguably supports a more straightforward workflow than do PS and LR. But for really elaborate corrections, like rescuing a horribly exposed but mission critical image, PS may be the only thing that can save you.

 

IMO, many photographers who use Photoshop don't really need it; they're using it because of its reputation, not its functionality. If that doesn't bother them, it certainly doesn't bother me. 

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA


@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

DPP4 is a decent application for use with consumer cameras.  I think a professional grade camera, like the 1DX2, is worthy of better, and more sophisticated software, like Adobe Lightroom.  Don't you?


In a word, no. It all depends on what you're requirements are. If all you're doing is cropping, rotating, applying lens corrections, and adjusting brightness, contrast, white balance, tone, etc., then DPP 4 is perfectly satisfactory and arguably supports a more straightforward workflow that do PS and LR. But for really elaborate corrections, like rescuing a horribly exposed but mission critical image, PS may be the only thing that can save you.

 

IMO, many photographers who use Photoshop don't really need it; they're using it because of its reputation, not its functionality. If that doesn't bother them, it certainly doesn't bother me. 


I would say that DPP 4 with its adjustable midpoint is as good at rescuing horribly exposed images as any software out there. DPP3 on the other hand, was aweful in that regard.

I have PS LR, but it is waste time for proceed large number of photos


@WoSoLoo wrote:

I have PS LR, but it is waste time for proceed large number of photos


To each his own, I guess.  LR6 is much faster than DPP3 and DPP4 for most tasks.  Both the lastest versions of LR6 and DPP4 run best with at least 16GB of RAM, especially DPP4.  You should be running with a 64-bit CPU, too, with plenty of free disk space to use as virtual memory.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements
01/18/2023: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for EOS R6 Mark II
01/09/2023: Help ensure your autofocus is properly aligned with a Canon Precision Alignment
01/03/2023: Welcome to CES 2023!
12/08/2022: New firmware version 1.0.5.1 is available for EOS C70
12/07/2022: New firmware version 1.7.0 is available for EOS R5
12/07/2022: New firmware version 1.7.0 is available for EOS R6
11/22/2022: New firmware available for EOS R3, EOS R7 and EOS R10
11/16/2022: We're thrilled to be ranked among the Best Employers for Veterans in 2022 by Forbes.
08/31/2022: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for RF 70-200mm L IS USM
08/09/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for CR-N 300
08/09/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for CR-N 500
07/14/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1 is available for CR-X300
06/10/2022: Service Notice:UPDATE: Canon Inkjet Printer continuous reboot loop or powering down
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.3.2 is available for PowerShot G7 X Mark III
05/31/2022: Did someone SAY Badges?
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.5.1 is available for EOS-C500 Mark II
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C300 Mark III
05/10/2022: Keep your Canon gear in optimal condition with a Canon Maintenance Service
05/05/2022: We are excited to announce that we have refreshed the ranking scale within the community!
04/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1.1 is available for EOS R5 C
03/23/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C70
02/09/2022: Share Your Photos is back!
02/07/2022: New firmware version 1.6.1 is available for EOS-1DX Mark III
01/19/2022: READY FOR ANYTHING EOS-R5 C
01/13/2022: Community Update. We will be retiring the legacy profile avatars on 01/20/2022. Click this link to read more.