cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlight warning or zebra function for still photos

CaRa2
Apprentice

Is there or will there be a real time highlight warning or zebra stripe type function in the Canon EOS R line, specifically, the R6? I do have a real time histogram set up (for the same purpose) but have not yet mastered the ability to look at it in addition to the other settings when taking a photo quickly. I think the function exists for video.

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you are looking to shoot video, then that is a feature commonly found in cinema camera bodies, not consumer hybrid cameras.  There are other brands out there that do try include these types of bells and whistles in their consumer cameras.  Just keep in mind that those other brands do not sell nearly as many cameras as the top brands that usually do not offer that feature.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

In other words, wait till canon eventually implements the feature, or buy a camera from a brand that already has it. There's no point pretending decision not to include it is somehow better just because canon sells a lot of cameras. Perhaps the reason why other brands' sales are growing is, they include features users actually look for.

Speaking as a canon user myself.

It is not a feature in Canon R Series cameras when shooting stills.  Other brands include those features because they are inferior camera bodies.  AF systems are not as good and the lens selection is even worse.

Personally, I would not to see any zebra stripes and blinking things when I am trying to compose shots and shoot stills.  I would prefer to see CPU power devoted to the AF system.

[EDIT] Have a nice day.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Personally I'd really appreciate this function. It's not a brand killer (and besides, I'm pretty sure Canon will eventually add it), but talking about e.g. Sony as inferior camera bodies currently takes a lot of fanboyism 🙂 Canon is lagging behind. I hope it will catch up on features eventually.

Also have a nice day 🙂

CaRa2
Apprentice

Thanks, all! Yes, I can't imagine shooting like I am now with film! I wouldn't be doing this -- and I am truly enjoying it. I do know that I have a lot to learn! I've only had my camera for a year. It's a feature I had noticed, but not given much thought to, more than a year ago, when I was shopping for my camera.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I still love my DSLRs - if you look at my profile, I list my current gear and it's pretty massive as I never bothered to sell my stuff: I found a body lost its value too quickly (lenses much less so).  I love shooting with relatively primate stuff: I shoot with the Canon EOS D30, circa 2000 and love the experience for itself and the pictures are still good IMHO.  There are many genres where it will make no difference whether one uses DSLRs, MILCS or compact cameras.  Right now I shoot with (predominantly) Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji and Olympus...

However, for certain applications, especially wildlife as we do, Canon's 2nd generation MILCs are a huge step forward - IBIS, eye tracking, dynamic range, WYSWIG all increase the number of keepers and that is great!

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements