cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High native ISO and UV/IR sensitivity mirrorless camera? Graphene CMOS or SPAD sensor technology?

Zalkonian
Apprentice

Hello. I’m looking to convert to full spectrum new full frame or crop sensor mirrorless camera with ~20Mp resolution.

My main requirement mirrorless camera is being enhanced sensitivity in UV/VIS/IR spectrum (or even reaching SWIR) after full spectrum conversion but features in newer models like IBIS, phase focusing, high native ISO. 4K recording, better viewfinder, high refresh rate, pixel shift (or other way to boost static object resolution) is also desirable.

I liked Sony A7s previously owned camera which has incredible sensitivity and incredible 409600 native ISO which after FS conversion basically turned into night vision device. Unfortunatelly A7s doesn’t have pixel shift technology to increase resolution of static object which I need for art work documentation/analysis while already ridiculous resolution camera’s utilize this technology, what a shame. I will also need a high quality lens that is fast and sharp both in IR and visible. So that’s why I’m now leaning toward choosing different brand camera such as Canon EF mount and Nikon seems to have bigger selection of lens than Sony in terms low infrared hotspots.

I guess there are also less problems adapting Canon EF lens to RF camera than to Sony E mount?

Is there new sensor technology  being used in mirrorless camera’s? Camera sensors unfortunately did not change really much. Major shift was use of backlit CMOS sensors which are better f-stop in noise reduction and I read they are also more sensitive especially to UV but later camera sensor are also using coatings which may block UV/IR. Sure there are small improvements like dual gain pixels, stacked or global shutter sensors but these novelties have no effect on spectral sensitivity?
Canon experimental SPAD camera sensor technology that can use multiplied electron avalanche to amplify signal sort of like analog night vision devices is interesting but are still in their infancy. Quantum dot three layer sensor are also in development. Even more amazing is graphene-enhanced CMOS claimed to have x1000 more sensitivity. High sensitivity is really needed to reduce pixel and camera/lens size.

Are there any cameras that use different color filter mosaics with better IR/UV transmission such as RGBW? It would be great to have pixels more sensitive to UV and IR to get more interesting artistic color effects.

2 REPLIES 2

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Other than backside illumination, there have not been any real changes in sensor technolgy lately. The only bayer changes have been Fuji's "random" bayer filter, and Leica's *no* bayer for the monocrom.

MFG's work hard to keep IR and UV *out* of the sensor, so I think you are out of luck there.

The only real novel sensor tech was Foveon, which I think is dead.

That's the problem. Other camera feature changed and upgraded but same innefficient silicon sensors being used requiring large sensor size which results in camera's along with lens being bulky, heavy and expensive.

Invisible spectrum photography is gaining more interest among artistic photographer too so it would be great to see first mirrorless camera with switch to UV/infrared spectrum for more application instead needing to convert it. Then sensors could be also optimized too for such spectrum.

Foveon interesting design too bad such camera's have limited functionality to photos only.

Metalens would be another important innovation to reduce lens weight signicantly since they are papper thin and have less problems than traditional lens.

Announcements