cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I try to get my camera repaired? - EOS Rebel T7 fell in a tide pool

kizoku42
Apprentice

I have an EOS Rebel T7 and on August 17th I fell into a tide pool with it.  I immediately pulled the battery and memory card and when I got home I vacuumed all the water I could, out of it.  Then I packed it and its lens, separately, in baggies with large bags of silica gel.  Today I tried using it, with a different battery and card, and got nothing.  I put a different lens on it and still got nothing.

So.  It is it worth it to try to get it repaired or should I just buy a new camera?

If it IS worth it to look up a repair shop, does anyone have a recommendation in the Ann  Arbor/ Detroit area?

Thanks,  Jack

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Your camera, once immersed in salt water, is no longer repairable.  As my colleagues advise, the salt (and even pollutants in fresh water) will immediately start a corrosion process that spreads like a cancer.  Drying it off as you did will leave the salt to continue to do its work, but it's not a matter of delay.  You camera is terminally impacted and no service centre will touch it because they know there is no fix, but they may charge you to find that out.  BTW, that also applies to any lens, battery or card that were attached.  The lens will likely develop fungus and the electronics will corrode. 

Your best bet is to check your insurance and see if the camera is covered for replacement, put in a claim and get a new camera.   The positive side is you can use any insurance money to invest in a mirrorless camera - something like the R10 or R50 with an R-series lens - like the RF-S 18-150 IS STM.  It will be a vast improvement over your current camera.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

wq9nsc
Elite
Elite

When electronics get immersed in salt water, the only possibility of saving it requires IMMEDIATELY flushing with large amounts of fresh (distilled and preferably deionized) water followed by drying with either reduced humidity warm air or desiccant agents which are regularly changed.

Once salt water enters electronic or electro/mechanical assemblies and is allowed to stay for even a fairly brief period of time, the resulting corrosion will make it unfeasible to repair.  Time to replace your camera.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

They won't even *try* to repair it, just button it back up and send it back.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  I packed it and its lens, separately, in baggies with large bags of silica gel."

Way too slow and doesn't work well for things that are already wet. "... even a fairly brief period of time, the resulting corrosion will make it unfeasible to repair."  And this doesn't consider the mechanical parts of the shutter.

Your best bet is to try the Canon Loyalty program. Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Time for a new camera? Saltwater corrodes very fast. I used to surf fish; rinsed off my rods and reels immediately when I got to the motel or parent's house.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Your camera, once immersed in salt water, is no longer repairable.  As my colleagues advise, the salt (and even pollutants in fresh water) will immediately start a corrosion process that spreads like a cancer.  Drying it off as you did will leave the salt to continue to do its work, but it's not a matter of delay.  You camera is terminally impacted and no service centre will touch it because they know there is no fix, but they may charge you to find that out.  BTW, that also applies to any lens, battery or card that were attached.  The lens will likely develop fungus and the electronics will corrode. 

Your best bet is to check your insurance and see if the camera is covered for replacement, put in a claim and get a new camera.   The positive side is you can use any insurance money to invest in a mirrorless camera - something like the R10 or R50 with an R-series lens - like the RF-S 18-150 IS STM.  It will be a vast improvement over your current camera.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements