cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with grainy photos

EJean82
Apprentice

I have a Canon 80 D with a Canon 70-200 f2.8 is iii lens. I have been shooting my daughters gymnastics meet which tends to have poor lighting. I am struggling with getting the appropriate setting to get clear shots. They either have a lot of blur or are super grainy. 

I attached an example. This is post processed in Photoshop to lighten up the image and try to reduce the grainy stuff

My setting are

RAW

f2.8

IS on

1/400

ISO 2500 ( and this is typically dark right out of the camera)

Al Servo

any tips would be great. Im getting super frustrated!addy 2.jpg

25 REPLIES 25

" Even in the shot below, the framing is rubbish because I've got the heads of the people on the beam, the scoreboard in a terribly distracting spot, etc."

Photoshop  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" Even in the shot below, the framing is rubbish because I've got the heads of the people on the beam, the scoreboard in a terribly distracting spot, etc."

Photoshop  Smiley Happy

Wasn't my kid, so I wasn't incented to put the time in to photoshop it... figured I'd let her parent do that!  LOL!  

Down and dirty 5 minutes in PS!  Of course I don't know what the scene actually looked like or what the black thing is in the middle but it can easily be taken care of. 10 or 15 minutes you could really make it look good.

fix.jpg

EB

Look at you go, Ernie!  The Master at work with a wave of the mouse!  

the black thing was a velvet "tarp" over some other gym-things that they were just trying to get out of harms way of all the flying chalk, I suspect.  Well done, maestro!  

"The Master at work with a wave of the mouse!  "

Thanx, I don't know about all that. But with a little time you could make it very convincing. I am nothing compared to some of the folks we had at Hallmark.  They were/are true "Masters" at PS.

EB

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

"Don't let perfection be the enemy of good."

As far as the people at the bottom of the original shot, I find it interesting that they mostly seem oblivious to what's going on in the air just above them. Though it is a better shot without the scoreboard in the background.

But like it says, "Don't let perfection ..."

Announcements