cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with an OLD Frimware update

Raskana
Apprentice

Hello all, I am new to the forum and photography in general. I mainly photgraph miniatures for Tabletop wargamming and my wife found an older SLR specifically a Cannon Rebel EOS XTI used for a really good deal. The problem I am running into is that the photos it takes are very dark and while searching for fix actions one that came up was upgrading the Firmware.  Unfortunately this firmware is no longer avialable directly from Cannon.  Is there a chance anyone has a copy of the firmware file for the firmware version 1.0.5 or newer?  Thank you in Advance.

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Updating the firmware is not going to fix your issue.  

It sounds like you need more experience with the camera, more light, and probably a faster lens.  A tripod would not hurt, either.   Using a tripod would solve many problems associated with shooting in low light.  You could use a slower shutter speed, and a lower ISO setting.  That is my advice.  Buy a real tripod, not a plastic one from Amazon or a big box store.

BTW, what lens are you using?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Updating the firmware is not going to fix your issue."

And is not, never, ever the first thing to try when you see a problem with a camera.  If the camera is working properly, the dark pics are on you.

Here is what you need to do, reset the XTi to factory.  Consult your manual if you don't know how.  Next set the XTi to P mode.  Set the ISO to 200 and WB to average.  Make sure your lens switch is on AF not MF. Now go outside on a nice sunny day and take a couple dozen shots.  Make sure you shoot different subjects.  If the photos are good and sharp there is nothig wrong with the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

According ot weeks of reasearch on this, it was a common issue with the XTI and was expereinced by many people, this was an issue that WAS addressed by Cannon specifically in firmware revision 1.0.5 according to many sources.  It has nothing to do with settings (already reset to factory) or tripod placement, or lighting (a light box that has been used with many other non DSLR cameras and phones over the years without the issue).  All that said if i do have one of the much earlier cameras it may also be a problem with the camera itself as there was also apprently an issue with one of the components in some of the camreas produced, unless I get the firmware I can not verify if it is a factory defect or just the known firmware issue. 

@Raskana wrote:

According ot weeks of reasearch on this, it was a common issue with the XTI and was expereinced by many people, this was an issue that WAS addressed by Cannon specifically in firmware revision 1.0.5 according to many sources. 

It has nothing to do with settings (already reset to factory) or tripod placement, or lighting (a light box that has been used with many other non DSLR cameras and phones over the years without the issue).  All that said if i do have one of the much earlier cameras it may also be a problem with the camera itself as there was also apprently an issue with one of the components in some of the camreas produced, unless I get the firmware I can not verify if it is a factory defect or just the known firmware issue. 

It is your toy, play with it as you please.  Not one word of what you described

827087C5-13A6-4FBD-98EE-A54AB8376551.jpeg

I believe that you have received some bad info.  Try Ernie's test, to see if your camera is bad.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"It is your toy, play with it as you please.  Not one word of what you described"

I had five Xti's and none exhibited what you described either. But I agree, "It is your toy,..." Have at it.

We, of us on the forum for a long time, hear this all the time, "It has nothing to do with settings (already reset to factory) or tripod placement, or lighting (a light box that has been used with many other non DSLR cameras and phones over the years without the issue)."  When in fact it does. Something is overlooked or missed and the mystery begins.

Please try the test I outlined for you. Just for kicks if nothing else.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements