cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Video Autofocus on Canon R5?

Ozark-Bill
Apprentice

Hi again,

I have been having lots of fund incorporating video with my R5. I am just a beginner in the video game, using it mostly to record wildlife. I have always used manual focus but have heard more people saying that they find that the AF in the R5 can do a better job than they can pulling focus manually. I am looking for a good resource that explains the best settings for AF in wildlife videography. For example, is there a good tracking AF option for this that can do a better job than manually focusing? I've read the manual section on this, but it hasn't helped me much. I have found quite a few sites with a Google search, but so much of it contradicts things that I read elsewhere.

Thanks for the help!

2 REPLIES 2

BrighamBB
Contributor

Good morning Ozark-Bill,

I have used my R5 AF for wildlife in still photography and I suspect you will find it works just as well in video.  The AF settings menu on the first tab allows you to choose "Subject to detect" "animals".  I used that setting while on a safari in India to get shots like this.

The R5 really is a fine piece of equipment and I think you'll get some good results with it in video.

Best of luck,

BrighamBB

India-20-2-min.jpgIndia-17-min.jpgIndia-18-min.jpg

BrighamBB
Contributor

Bill, 

I would add in tab 3 under the SERVO AF settings you have a number of settings that can help you and changing the sensitivity.  The symbols relate to sport, so as with all things photography and videography you need to experiment.

Again, best of luck.

BrighamBB

click here to view the gallery
Announcements