cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Unsure which EOS rebel to purchase

LB1990
Apprentice
Hi all!
I have been looking and looking and still am a little unsure of the camera that would best fit my wants and budget.. I am a beginner, will be using the camera mostly outside (pictures of my boyfriend surfing, my horses, dog (moving and still), skies and landscapes. Budget is tight, about $500.
Recommendations, Suggestions, please and thank you!!!
9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

$500 is too low, but here is a reasonable beginner set for $600.

Canon refurbs come with a 1 year warranty, just like a new camera.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t5-ef-s-18-55-is-ii-lens-kit-refurbished-with-ef...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Budget is tight, about $500."

Yes that is a little tight.  Smiley Sad  Save a bit longer or try the Canon referb store as per suggestion above.  But the Rebel to get is the Canon EOS Rebel T6i DSLR Camera with 18-135mm Lens.  It will stay with you for a long, long time.  This Rebel has all the current featuers of any Rebel. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'll echo ebiggs on the T6i.  It is not just the most current Rebel, it is also the first major model-to-model improvement in Rebels since the T2i replaced the T1i.  Autofocus in particular is vastly improved vs the T5i. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

LB1990
Apprentice
What are your opinions on the rebel SL1?

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-Rebel-SL1.aspx

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"What are your opinions on the rebel SL1?"

IMHO, it is too small for me.  I am 6'3" and 220lbs.  Are you a smaller person?  If so you may like a Rebel SL-1 but I would suggest you try one first.  I use some pretty large and heavy glass which is another reason I wouldn't buy an SL-1.

This is personal opinion and you should really try one.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

LB1990
Apprentice
Thank you!! I will have to try one out, if that is your only down fall that may be a great starter camera for me! Esp since my hands aren't large and I'm 5'5, 123lb so that's great to hear!! Thank you!!!

ezpop
Rising Star

If you don't mind buying an used camera/lens combo, you can find a T2i/T3i with kit lens in your local market asking around $250- $300. Then spend some $$ buying a 50 1.8 STM for portrait/low light photography.

T4i has touch screen features but you may have to pay a little bit more. May be $400. Then you have $100 left for a 40mm F2.8 pancaske lens.

If you only shoot stills, you have a lot of choices with your $500. May be you can consider a Canon 40D($200) or even a FF 5D(350). They produce very very good images if you put on a decent lens.

BTW, you may spend $50 or less buying a vintage manual lens e.g. Helios 44-2 55 F2 and an adapter to use it on a crop sensor camera (not on the 5D - mirror crash). It's a lot of fun.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I noticed one of your uses is "pictures of boyfriend surfing".  Be VERY careful near salt-water.  Salt-water will kill the electronics.  

We've had a few bad stories of people who wade out into the water -- or just get too clsoe and a big wave comes crashing over them and that's the end of that camera.

It is possible to get completely waterproof "underwater" housings -- but those are expensive for a DSLR.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements