cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning to upgrade my 70D

idanidan123
Enthusiast

I've been using the 70D for almost 2 years, and I've noticed that because of my pretty big hands, the body feels small and so I wanna upgrade to a bigger one, something like the 5D M3 but a lot cheaper. It could either be FF or crop, as long as it's bigger and the IQ is similar. Photography is a huge hobby of mine, I'd say I'm pretty advanced but not pro yet. One more thing- I prefer suggestions for bodies under $500. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@idanidan123 wrote:
And what about the 7D and 7D Mark 2?

If I wanted to dip into the 1D series, the only older bodies I would consider purchasing are the 1Ds Mk III and the 1D Mk IV.  Given a choice between those two bodies, I would go for the 1D Mk IV, despite the higher resolution of a 1Ds Mk III.  

CD57BA11-758F-4187-A172-D3241162BF5A.jpeg

The 1D4 has a higher frame rate, and a much wider ISO range.  The 1D Series has good in-camera image capturing, due to the multiple CPUs in the camera bodies.  This was shot with a 1D4 and a EF 35mm f/2 IS USM.

——————————————————-

I would pass on the 7D, not unless you needed to replace your current body if it stopped working.  The 7D2 is an excellent body, which excels at fast action photography.  It is definitely an improvement over the 70D.  The 80D is also an improvement over the 70D, and it just may be a bigger improvement in IQ than a 7D2.  

When you want to “upgrade” your camera body, just make sure that it is technological leap forward.  A better lens with your current body will do more to improve your shots and image quality than a new body with your current lenses.  This is true of nearly any camera body, not just your 70D.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Your budget doesn’t really allow you to upgrade to a Full Frame camera because you would probably need to buy new Full Frame compatible lenses as well.

A used Canon 7D is slightly larger than a 70D and can be bought for less than $500.

A lower cost option is a battery grip for your 70D that will totally change the way the camera feels in your hand.

949E06FD-9526-429A-9477-2BA4D28A6AFF.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

idanidan123
Enthusiast
I'll consider the battery grip option, thank you!
In terms of lenses, I've got the 50mm f1.8 and 24-105mm L.

Both your lenses are compatible with Full Frame cameras but only the original 5D can be bought for about $500. The 5D Mk II will cost about $700-900.

The 5D has great image quality but it is only 13MP and does not have great high ISO performance. The menu system and rear LCD display are also much inferior to what you are used to on your 70D.  You would also be giving up Liveview and Video. 

Mike Sowsun

idanidan123
Enthusiast
I only take photos, so I don't really mind not having live view or video.

@idanidan123 wrote:

Stick to buying a battery grip.  I think you will like it better than the near obsolete 5D, which is more of a novelty today than a functional camera for a photo enthusiast.  

I do not think Canon US services the 5D, anymore.  So, why buy it, unless you want to start your own museum?  In fact, I recommend buying either a 1D Series, or a battery grip with any camera that you might select for an upgrade.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@idanidan123 wrote:

Stick to buying a battery grip.  I think you will like it better than the near obsolete 5D, which is more of a novelty today than a functional camera for a photo enthusiast.  

I do not think Canon US services the 5D, anymore.  So, why buy it, unless you want to start your own museum?  In fact, I recommend buying either a 1D Series, or a battery grip with any camera that you might select for an upgrade.

Good advice.... The 5D and 7D series are both really not that much larger than the 70D. What you really need is a battery grip if you have large hands. 

Clipboard01.jpg

Mike Sowsun

idanidan123
Enthusiast
Isn't the 1D series super expensive?

A used 1D Mk III sells for about $400-$600 and a 1D Mk IV is about $800-$1,000.

They are both 1.3x crop PRO cameras. 

Mike Sowsun

idanidan123
Enthusiast
And what about the 7D and 7D Mark 2?
Announcements