cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP PLEASE Canon 80D Malfunction With No Error Code

mikeaff
Contributor

I'm having an issue with my 80D where I get a message on the screen every time I go into live view. The message reads "This function is not available during live view shooting" or "This function is not available in the movie shooting mode" depending on which mode I'm in.

The message appears as a large box covering most of the viewing area on the LCD and doesn't go way.  I can take stills in live view (can't see what I'm focusing on though), but I can't start video recording at all. Autofocus works fine, but I can't see what I'm focusing on.

Here's the strange thing.  If I push and hold the DOF preview button, the box goes away and I can take a pic or start recording.  As soon as I release the DOF button, the box with the message comes back. 

Anyone ever have something like this happen?

BTW, taking stills through the viewfinder is functioning perfectly.  Pictures attached20220305_124353.jpg20220305_124404.jpg

11 REPLIES 11

Thanks I've done that at least twice, once with Canon on the line.

BTW, it just happened out of nowhere while I was shooting.  It was fine one second and not the next.  Nothing was changed.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I agree with Waddizzle.  A setting is likely the cause of this behavior.  The message is not an error, I believe its the camera telling you it can't do something with the current settings or shooting mode you have selected.  

Canon Knowledge Base - Using Live View Shooting (Still Photos) with the Default Settings (Immediatel...

I've spent several hours now learning the cause and effect relationship a setting can have under different shooting modes, and my camera has 2 independant and very different Photo and CINE menus.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements