Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to Singapore for a week - Corrosion concerns

JFG
Rising Star
Rising Star

Hey everyone, 

Next Tuesday 8-3-24 I'll be flying to Singapore for a week and  hopefully I'll get some good photos. However with the humidity being 80% plus and prospects of rain 🌧..  I decided to take my M50 Mark II, EF-M 15-45mm and EF-M 50-200mm lenses along with a few bags of silica gel in my camera bag 😆   After reading Trevor's answers to a post on, "in camera corrosion" it made me think twice 🤔   

Thanks Trevor  ! 😊 

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@JFG wrote:

Hey everyone, 

Next Tuesday 8-3-24 I'll be flying to Singapore for a week and  hopefully I'll get some good photos. However with the humidity being 80% plus and prospects of rain 🌧..  I decided to take my M50 Mark II, EF-M 15-45mm and EF-M 50-200mm lenses along with a few bags of silica gel in my camera bag 😆   After reading Trevor's answers to a post on, "in camera corrosion" it made me think twice 🤔   

Thanks Trevor  ! 😊 

Biggest issue in a high humidity environment is going out of air conditioned buildings. If you are in a 70 degree building and walk outside to a warm humid environment you will get condensation forming on (and in) your gear.

If you can't avoid the transition it is best to keep the camera in a ziplock type bag till it warms up.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

wq9nsc
Elite
Elite

Just exercise normal care and enjoy your trip (INCLUDING photography)!  I bought a M6 M2 a few years ago purely for travel and it has gotten damp more than once while hiking in the pacific northwest rain forests and it hasn't had any issues.  I

I shoot quite a few swim meets and that is truly a high humidity environment.  I use my 1 series gear for these meets which is well sealed.

If a camera is getting sensor corrosion: it has been used or stored damp for an extensive period of time, has been exposed to a corrosive environment (NOT just normal air and humidity), OR Canon has a sensor design issue with some of their newer gear and since we haven't seen more reports of that hopefully the latter isn't the issue.

Theft or damage due to dropping are far more likely than a moist environment creating a problem.  Because sensor heating can be an issue with sustained sensor activity, a mirrorless camera should be far less prone to sensor damage from humidity 🤣

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Hi John, 

I have been to Singapore multiple times and have visited Kampong Glam, Little India, Katong not to mention Boat Quay and other tourist spots.  We were there last year in April and stayed at the Swisotel The Stamford on the 71st floor, across from the Sands Skypark, the Merlion, with great views of Singapore Bay, fom our balcony, what  views!  Thats  where I experienced condensation on my R6 M2, RF 24-105mm lens.  Like Trevor mentioned, coming out of an air condition room to the hot humidity of Singapore will cause the lense to fog up in a flash.  This time going in August, which is Singapore's raniest month of the year and higher than normal humidity is what I was concerned with.  However, looking at the weather it seems that it will rain on Tuesday,  Wednesday,  Thursday at night with cloudy overcast and some showers in the day.  So, I just have to take care that I don't get rained on. 😀  Also we will be goung to Santosa island and just going around.  I'm bringing my compact Canon M50 M2 with two lenses as it is lighter, easier to pack and carry.  I will shoot in raw and although its a cropped sensor it takes great pictures 👍  Great little  canon camera !  

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

John_SD
Whiz

Never had a problem there with a lens fogging up there. Perhaps because I haven't had a need to immediately shoot when I step outside. YMMV.

Yeah, it probably was because the temperature in my room was set so low that when I stepped out onto the balcony, the humidity and temperature change was so much that it caused the condensation.   I wanted to take pics of the fantastic views from my room's balcony.  😀  I should have known better as I've traveled throughout south east asia and know how humid it can get.  In any case I just need to use some common sense.  This year I also plan to visit Australia in November and in December plan to visit Luxembourg, if all goes well and there are no last minute hiccups.  We were supposed to go to Poland in September then we  were going to take a quick hop to Barcelona, but that was scrubbed. Hopefully, I'll be taking my R52, like Rick calls it, in November! 🙂

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams
Announcements