Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to Singapore for a week - Corrosion concerns

JFG
Rising Star
Rising Star

Hey everyone, 

Next Tuesday 8-3-24 I'll be flying to Singapore for a week and  hopefully I'll get some good photos. However with the humidity being 80% plus and prospects of rain 🌧..  I decided to take my M50 Mark II, EF-M 15-45mm and EF-M 50-200mm lenses along with a few bags of silica gel in my camera bag 😆   After reading Trevor's answers to a post on, "in camera corrosion" it made me think twice 🤔   

Thanks Trevor  ! 😊 

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@JFG wrote:

Hey everyone, 

Next Tuesday 8-3-24 I'll be flying to Singapore for a week and  hopefully I'll get some good photos. However with the humidity being 80% plus and prospects of rain 🌧..  I decided to take my M50 Mark II, EF-M 15-45mm and EF-M 50-200mm lenses along with a few bags of silica gel in my camera bag 😆   After reading Trevor's answers to a post on, "in camera corrosion" it made me think twice 🤔   

Thanks Trevor  ! 😊 

Biggest issue in a high humidity environment is going out of air conditioned buildings. If you are in a 70 degree building and walk outside to a warm humid environment you will get condensation forming on (and in) your gear.

If you can't avoid the transition it is best to keep the camera in a ziplock type bag till it warms up.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Well... I didn't mean to spook you out of enjoying your vacation photos! 

If you are there in the really wet season there might be some small risk, but given you seem pretty careful with your gear, as long as you don't subject it to actual rain, and maybe keep a gel pack in your camera bag, as you suggest I would not be in too much risk. Most hotels have aircon, so you should be ok in there.  If you have a good camera bag with a rain cover you should be OK on trips out, especially if you stay under cover when its raining.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The question for the other thread was the environment within which it was used and it's usage history, which we really don't know.  Unless completely soaked or a wetting from seawater, the biggest threat is likely from exposure over time to a wet or humid environment.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

You didn't spook me but you did reminded me how humid and wet it can get in that part of the world.  Last year when I was there it was so humid that my lens kept fogging up on me.  So I decided this time to take my smaller camera and shoot with as it also takes great pics👍  Besides, it's not the arrow but the shooter !   😀

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@JFG wrote:

Hey everyone, 

Thanks Trevor  ! 😊 

Biggest issue in a high humidity environment is going out of air conditioned buildings. If you are in a 70 degree building and walk outside to a warm humid environment you will get condensation forming on (and in) your gear.

If you can't avoid the transition it is best to keep the camera in a ziplock type bag till it warms up.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi John,

You're right, I couldn't agree with you anymore.  The transition between an airconditioned environment to a warm humid enviroment creates condensation in a flash.  The ziplock bag is a good idea 💡  

Thanks John

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Just exercise normal care and enjoy your trip (INCLUDING photography)!  I bought a M6 M2 a few years ago purely for travel and it has gotten damp more than once while hiking in the pacific northwest rain forests and it hasn't had any issues.  I

I shoot quite a few swim meets and that is truly a high humidity environment.  I use my 1 series gear for these meets which is well sealed.

If a camera is getting sensor corrosion: it has been used or stored damp for an extensive period of time, has been exposed to a corrosive environment (NOT just normal air and humidity), OR Canon has a sensor design issue with some of their newer gear and since we haven't seen more reports of that hopefully the latter isn't the issue.

Theft or damage due to dropping are far more likely than a moist environment creating a problem.  Because sensor heating can be an issue with sustained sensor activity, a mirrorless camera should be far less prone to sensor damage from humidity 🤣

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

Just exercise normal care and enjoy your trip (INCLUDING photography)!  I bought a M6 M2 a few years ago purely for travel and it has gotten damp more than once while hiking in the pacific northwest rain forests and it hasn't had any issues.  I

I shoot quite a few swim meets and that is truly a high humidity environment.  I use my 1 series gear for these meets which is well sealed.

If a camera is getting sensor corrosion: it has been used or stored damp for an extensive period of time, has been exposed to a corrosive environment (NOT just normal air and humidity), OR Canon has a sensor design issue with some of their newer gear and since we haven't seen more reports of that hopefully the latter isn't the issue.

Theft or damage due to dropping are far more likely than a moist environment creating a problem.  Because sensor heating can be an issue with sustained sensor activity, a mirrorless camera should be far less prone to sensor damage from humidity 🤣

Rodger

I should have been more clear. It's not corrosion I would be concerned about, but I've been with folks that didn't take precautions and had the lens and mirror (not a concern with mirrorless) fog up and take a while to clear. While that is happening camera is out of commission.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements