cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting black line on photos of a EOS R7. Lines show up with and without Amazon Light

jesthepirate
Enthusiast

I have a EOS R7 and was gifted this light. I tried it out tonight on my sister and her baby but these lines showed up. So I tried taking some without the light on and the lines still showed up but worse (2nd photo). There are lines on the actual light like a stack of bulbs.

Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 6.18.13 PM.png065A4872.jpg065A5111.jpgAny ideas?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Yes, it's different than shutter speed.  It's a different type of shutter mode.  Many mirrorless cameras these days offer the ability to use an electronic shutter or a mechanical shutter.  This issue is one of the cons of using an electronic shutter.  Though there are benefits for certain situations.

See the section on Shutter Mode starting on page 287 in the User Manual.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

I'd probably recommend the Canon 430EX III-RT.   Are you planning to just have it atop your camera? I ask since if you also plan to use it off of the camera, there are known issues with Canon's radio-controlled equipment these days.

I recently sold all my 600 EX-RT units as my primary use case was off camera with radio control.  And the random connectivity issues became a deal killer.

The 430EX III-RT would do a decent job at adding fill light.

--
Ricky

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Looks like you have electronic shutter set.  Try using a mechanical shutter instead.  Or, lower the shutter speed.

--
Ricky

Electronic shutter? Is that different than the shutter speed?

Yes, it's different than shutter speed.  It's a different type of shutter mode.  Many mirrorless cameras these days offer the ability to use an electronic shutter or a mechanical shutter.  This issue is one of the cons of using an electronic shutter.  Though there are benefits for certain situations.

See the section on Shutter Mode starting on page 287 in the User Manual.

--
Ricky

@jesthepirate wrote:

Electronic shutter? Is that different than the shutter speed?

Electronic shutters | Canon EOS camera feature (eos-magazine.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

When did this start?  Tonight after trying the new light?

Can you please reset the camera to defaults and retest.  Please share these results with us.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Indeed....  Ricky 🙂  this is where I was heading.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Does this issue occur when you take photo outdoors on a sunny day?  If you switch the top dial to the Green [A+] mode does the issue occur both outdoors and indoors?

It almost looks like a severe case of light flicker.  But, I have small rooms where I use one table lamp with an LED light bulb and do not see this issue with my R6 mark II.  I use the mechanical shutter mode and enable Light Flicker Correction. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jesthepirate
Enthusiast

Thank you guys! I got my solution. Looks like the light I got it more meant for videoing.

I do have another question though. What do you guys recommend I look for when getting a flash speedlite? I'll be taking a lot of photos on walking trails with dogs running so hopefully something that can help those shadow spots.

I'd probably recommend the Canon 430EX III-RT.   Are you planning to just have it atop your camera? I ask since if you also plan to use it off of the camera, there are known issues with Canon's radio-controlled equipment these days.

I recently sold all my 600 EX-RT units as my primary use case was off camera with radio control.  And the random connectivity issues became a deal killer.

The 430EX III-RT would do a decent job at adding fill light.

--
Ricky

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements