cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus pulsing issue with canon eos r10

Ilias_laz
Contributor

Hello, I was using an old canon eos 50d with a sigma 17-50mm f2.8 ex dc os hsm, and both worked great (this lens is especially sharp). Recently I decided to invest in mirrorless system as I had read that with ef to rf adapter my ef lenses would work great. Unfortunatelly when I am using this lens with r10 I get a massive pulsing issue when I am focusing with servo mode. I am very dissapointed because there was not any list of compatible third party lenses with new mirrorless cameras. Canon just told that ef lenses would work as good as with dslr cameras. Is there a solution to this problem? 

30 REPLIES 30

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What specific EF to RF adapter did you purchase?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

The official canon adapter, it was on sale along with the camera. I have other lenses too, some of them facing the same issue. My canon ef 50mm f1.8 stm and canon ef-s 55-250 stm are working great with r10. My sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 ex dc os hsm has some minor focus pulsing issues. Sigma 105mm f2.8 ex dg os hsm worls fine but not as fine as canon lenses and my tamron sp af 200-500mm f4-5.6 di ld if has also focus pulsing issue. I undestand that new mirrorless cameras have a different focus mechanism but I am very dissapointed with the fact that canon didn't informed customers about potential incompatibility with specific lenses. 

@Ilias_laz wrote:

The official canon adapter, it was on sale along with the camera. I have other lenses too, some of them facing the same issue. My canon ef 50mm f1.8 stm and canon ef-s 55-250 stm are working great with r10. My sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 ex dc os hsm has some minor focus pulsing issues. Sigma 105mm f2.8 ex dg os hsm worls fine but not as fine as canon lenses and my tamron sp af 200-500mm f4-5.6 di ld if has also focus pulsing issue. I undestand that new mirrorless cameras have a different focus mechanism but I am very dissapointed with the fact that canon didn't informed customers about potential incompatibility with specific lenses. 

Not all Canon EF lenses are fully compatible with all features of MILC bodies.  I have not looked through the R10 manual, yet, but manuals for previous cameras, like R through the R5, included a page that listed Canon EF lenses that were fully compatible with the MILC body when using the Canon EF-RF adapters.

No mention is made about any third party lenses because Canon does not test compatibility with third party lenses.  That responsibility resides with the third party lens manufacturers, not Canon.

In my experience with Sigma lenses and Canon DSLRs, the “OS” in Sigma lenses has a tendency to get into a tug-of-war with Canon DSLRs.  Autofocus would go on a hunting expedition.  

Please note, the DSLR bodies had a much lower maximum fps than Canon MILCs.  The focus pulsing looks like a high speed version of the same tug-of-war focus hunting seen with Canon DSLRs.

There was a simple fix for it.  Disable the OS in the Sigma lens.  Problem solved.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

The 17- 50 is dated and not a sigma global vision lens. I'd be very surprised if it worked properly on a mirrorless camera, even when used with a Canon branded adapter.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I agree with that but how should I have known this before as canon didn't mention anytning? I feel scammed from canon 

Canon would only test their own lenses though.   Using third party products can lead to compatibility issues; be it hardware or software.

--
Ricky

What you are saying is common sense, every company tests their own products, I don't expect canon to test all available lenses ever made. But DID canon inform customers that third party lenses may not work properly with new mirrorless cameras? I've loved canon all these years and now I was planning to invest more on canon r system, even on full frame bodies and lenses. But to be honest I am disapointed from canon's customer treatment. Instead of trying find a solution you are trying to say that it was my fault expecting new canon cameras to work well with old ef lenses, without previous beeing clear from company that there may be a compatibility issues. Thanks for your time replying to my post but now I unestand how in canon treat their customers. 

Why would Canon or any company be required to mention 3rd party compatibility for new products that they introduce?   The onus is on the 3rd party companies.

e.g. Apple wouldn't test every conceivable piece of hardware that could be attached to a new Mac every time they release a new model.

--
Ricky

@Ilias_laz wrote:

Instead of trying find a solution you are trying to say that it was my fault expecting new canon cameras to work well with old ef lenses, ....

Respectfully.  No where does rs-eos imply or say anything is your fault.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements