cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus problems after 1.5 firware upgrade in R5

LaneW
Enthusiast

I am seeing missed focus on birds, in flight and stationary, with my R5 and EF 100-400 ii lens. Sometimes OK, often I know I had the blue box locked on target when I took the shot, but DPP shows the focus point off of there a lot of the time and the pic is soft. I think this has only started since the 1.5 upgrade, as best I can tell.

I am hesitant to use some of the YouTube methods to revert to 1.4, but think I need to go back - can I do that safely?

Yes, I know that a 1.5.1 update just came out and that a bigger update is coming end of March -  but I"m a bit gun shy about updates right now. 

Canon R5, 80D. EF 100-400 ii, 1.4 ii TC. RF 800 F/11. RF 24-105 F/4
2 REPLIES 2

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

On my EOS R5, I also use the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM and often Extender EF 1.4x III or Extender EF 2x III. I have updated the firmware on the lens. I set the IS mode switch on the lens to 3 and nearly always use it hand held.

I have upgraded from 1.5.0 to 1.5.1 firmware. After the automatic restart of the camera during the update, the lens was no longer recognized. I shut the camera off, removed the battery, inserted the battery, and turned the camera on and the lens was recognized. It appears to me that during the automatic restart, the lens was not reinitialized, or maybe some data structures were not reinitialized.

Also, after the firmware update, my C3 saved settings displayed bizarre things in the viewfinder. I switched from C3 to C2 and then back to C3 and it went back to normal. Again, this might be explained by some data structures or pointers not being reinitialized.

For me, the 1.4 to 1.5.0 firmware seemed to provide both autofocus and IBIS improvements, but I likely do not use the camera the same as others use it and may not have noticed any problems.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi LaneW,

I'm sorry to see you've been having focus issues with firmware update 1.5.0. I understand your concern with updating the firmware again, but we would recommend updating the firmware to version 1.5.1. That update includes a fix to help keep the camera from freezing. 

Canon always appreciates user feedback on our products and services. Following the release of Firmware Version 1.5.0, we are in the process of developing an update to further optimize AF operations. We plan to publish details of the revised firmware in late March and will make an announcement on the Web site.

We do not recommend trying to revert the camera to a previous firmware version. Our cameras are able to update to new versions, but they do not have a function to revert to previous firmware. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements